General discussion

Help, too doggone many fonts!

In my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop with 4 GB RAM and running Vista Ultimate, it seems like every doggone program I have installs TONS of fonts whether I want 'em or not, so now after nearly 3 years I have the appalling total of 2900+ fonts! I think they're slowing my system down; it takes forever to shut down for one thing!

I did a backup of the folder and then tried to delete some of the fonts, as many are repetitious in appearance and I'll never use them, only the system won't let me delete any of them; I get a message that the file is open in another program and that I should close that program and try again... only it's not!

I've tried it from Explorer and from Control Panel, as well as in Safe Mode. Same message. I've even tried a couple of freeware programs that are supposed to take care of such issues... they didn't!

I had a conversation with a tech friend the other day... I told him my problem and he exclaimed, "Oh, no, you can't delete fonts! No Windows system will let you- they never have!" I replied that I had indeed deleted fonts back when I had XP, and he just kept saying no, nope, you couldn't have. Hey, I'm not THAT senile!

Isn't there ANY way I can get rid of some of these blasted fonts? Will I have to bite the bullet and do the reformat/reinstall thing?

Thank you very much!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help, too doggone many fonts!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help, too doggone many fonts!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That certainly seems a lot.
- Collapse -
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

...and let you know.

Thanx again, Mark (and Larry!)

CNET Forums

Forum Info