Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help, things have gone real weird!

by nicko.dvz / August 13, 2006 7:06 PM PDT

OK, so my PC freezes while encoding some video (at least that was one of the things it was doing) and then unfreezes. First thing that I notice is that my quick launch icons are gone, so I go ok, hmmm, I'll restart my PC. Do so, while booting, the message "File boot.ini not found; Booting from C:\Windows" or something similair appears (it comes up each time I boot now). I'm pretty worried now. Just imagine me when I go into "All Programs" and find that only a few programs are there. Another thing I find out is that all my bookmarks are gone in Firefox and Flock (which I was using for the first time when this happened). Also, I open up Adobe Premiere Pro and find out that all the "Recent Projects" are gone, not the actual files themselves, just the shortcuts. The Microsoft Office 2003 Pro suite has had to install itself when I used the programs for the first time after this happened. I'm guessing that all the programs were set back to default and first-run (Firefox showed "Welcome to Firefox" or whatever it says the first time you use it). Could anyone help??? I'm dying here... I'm pretty good at PC's but still, I'm only 14. If it helps:
- Win XP Home (SP2)
- AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+
- Albatron K8X800 ProII
- 2x WD 200GB SATA (RAID 0)

I think thats all the parts you need to know about. I built it so I can't exactly give you a make of PC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, things have gone real weird!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, things have gone real weird!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Trojan or Virus - Run scans in Safe Mode
by Trance_Zac / August 13, 2006 7:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Or Try System Restore if No Viruses are Found
by Trance_Zac / August 13, 2006 7:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ok...
by nicko.dvz / August 13, 2006 9:23 PM PDT

Ok. Ran virus scan. System restore says ''failed to restore''... help...

Collapse -
You Say You Built it...........
by Trance_Zac / August 13, 2006 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

I think it's time to wipe the hard drive with "killdisk" (google) - (it's free) and Reinstall XP

Collapse -
Except
by nicko.dvz / August 14, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

Yeah... Except I've got 300GB of video to backup, so it isn't really a viable option. Though I might have to.

Collapse -
Lets do this again.......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

You say you have run a virus scan, but not which Anti-Virus you use, or what other anti-malware protection you utilise.

So, let's go through this a step at a time.

Do you use a firewall? If not, at the very least turn on the Windows Firewall, but better yet, download and install any of the free firewalls available, like ZoneAlarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

When you have done that, perform an online anti-virus scan at Housecall, ie;
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
Set it to delete all pests.

What anti-virus do you use? Make sure its definitions are updated. Don't scan again with it just yet.

What anti-spyware do you use? If you have none, I suggest a suite of anti-spyware, of which have one of them running in the background, eg;

Ewido from http://www.ewido.com
Spywareblaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Spybot Search & Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
and Windows Defender from Microsoft.com

Windows Defender or Spybot are the favorite for continuous scanning in the background.

Turn off System Restore. - Right click your ''My Computer'' icon on the Desktop and select Properties. Click the System Restore tab, and select the option to turn off System Restore. Many viruses and spyware will hide in SR backups, and these are compressed files and cannot be scanned by many anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

Make sure each utility's definitions are updated and run the following from Safe Mode;

Your anti-virus.
Ewido, delete everything it finds.
Spybot Search & Destroy
Windows Defender, set it to delete all it finds.
SpywareBlaster does not run as a utility. It innoculates the Registry from infection

Return to Normal Mode, turn on System Restore, and goto the System Restore utilty and create a Restore Point.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
PC freezes
by billzhills / August 15, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

encoding some video
Another post mentioned 300 gigs(?) of video,
--> into P2P networking?

while booting, the message "File boot.ini not found; Booting from C:\Windows". Seen this only on totally comprimised systems. (hacked)

Follow Mark's Instructions, but get your data off .....

Luck

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!