Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help! svchost.exe error -The instruction at "0x009996bc"...

by avmad / February 13, 2006 11:18 AM PST

Hello all,

The system
I have XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2, on a Dell Dimension 9100 3Ghx / 1Gb / 160Gb. All available MS updates are installed. Computer is using a Belkin Pre-N wireless card. Zone Alarm Security Suite is installed. I do not know if the problem started after the install of ZASS (but it may well have).

The problem
I constantly get the following message box appearing:

svchost.exe application error

The instruction at "0x009996bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to Terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

This message will appear even over the top of the login prompt after a reboot and before any user has logged in.
[OK] can be pressed and the message box will go away for a while.
It will always re-appear after executing Windows Explorer and clicking on "My Computer", at which point, there will be a lobg delay followed by the message box apearing.
It will frequently appear while running other programs and while using the open and save as dialogs etc.
It occurs no matter which user is logged in.
I have tried disabling all 3rd party services (except TrueVector) to no avail.
This problem is *Really* annoying!

The question

Does anyone know what causes this message box?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! svchost.exe error -The instruction at "0x009996bc"...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! svchost.exe error -The instruction at "0x009996bc"...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2006 10:56 PM PST

"Does anyone know what causes this message box?"

The clue is the reference to 0x00000000. Many programs are written in the C language. When a programmer fails to initialize a "pointer", that value is often set to zero and this error occurs.

In short, the software has a bug and the author needs to correct it.

I wonder if you meant to ask what you could do about it, but that was not your question.

Collapse -
Yes - I meant to ask...
by avmad / February 14, 2006 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks for that. As a former C programmer myself, I agree that could be the reason. Anyway, back to the real question:

Do you or anyone know which application is resposible and/or how to fix it (see my earlier troubleshooting notes)?

BTW - I have seen other references to this exact same issue on the web but I have not seen answers (although one site offering payable tech support purports to have an answer, but I am not a member so I can't say).

Collapse -
To hunt the failing program down we use some tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2006 8:32 AM PST

XP comes with MSCONFIG that we can turn off items. We also have the EVENT VIEWER which may have more details or clues.

If you see a site with the answer, be sure to share the URL here. I have shared some links with others and they forget to keep paging down to the replies to see the answer. Some stop when they see the advert.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?