Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

help! spam through my computer

i was working on my computer, when suddenly my Norton antivirus strats poping up messages saying things like "unable to sned email to <name>@hotmail.com" or something like that. the emails were clearly spam, with titles like "enlarge your *****" "loose weight" and the usual. norton seems to prevent the computer from sending these emails, but about 3 get sent every second. how can i stop this???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help! spam through my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help! spam through my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: help! spam through my computer

In reply to: help! spam through my computer

I ran ad-aware it did nothing. this has gotten so bad, its sending hundreds and hundreds of emails allways to differnt hotmail users. i have to shut down norton from the task manager because it notifies me 50 times every second that uts unable to send all this spam. i cant find where this thing is and its driving me nuts!

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: help! spam through my computer

Collapse -

they did nothing,i ran the software, restarted, and it was about 30 mins before it started sending again. any suggestions?

Collapse -

Collapse -

argh... it found some trojans but i guess not what this is... its driving me crazy, because i cant do any work on my computer because of this. even as i type every second a new notice pops up, nutil i close down most programs running in the background...

Collapse -
Nissark, have a look here.......

Collapse -
Re: Nissark, have a look here.......

In reply to: Nissark, have a look here.......

ok, the discription fits, but i ran the tool and found nothing! what the hell? im sure its the same thing

Collapse -
Re: Here is a tool from Sophos

In reply to: Here is a tool from Sophos

well, i ran all the programs posted here,they didnt find anything, and the computer was fine for about an hour and a half and then it started once again...this thing is unstoppable

Collapse -
What is your Operating System ??

In reply to: Re: Here is a tool from Sophos

Use Taskmanager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to end these "strange " running processes if you can (or use Process Explorer)

Which "strange looking" processes are running??

Collapse -
Re: What is your Operating System ??

In reply to: What is your Operating System ??

i am using windows xp. i am waiting for the emailing to start,it usualy takes a while since i just reboot it. i will try to see if i can figure out which one it is.

Collapse -
Re: What is your Operating System ??

In reply to: What is your Operating System ??

i didnt see any "wiered looking" programs, when the emails started getting sent, prosess manager didnt show any new programs starting, i was looking at it the whole time. i tried this before, bit i can figure out which is the one i need to close down.

Collapse -
If you find the one .......

In reply to: Re: What is your Operating System ??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.