HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Help - Sony Handycam HDR-SR11

by tmd820 / May 1, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me. I have a new Sony Handycam HDR-SR11 and I am having trouble creating a DVD. I have a couple of videos (2GB) recorded on the hard disk which I transferred to my computer with no problem. When I try and create a DVD using Pic Motion Browser, the creation gets to approx 50-53% complete and then it just stops. A few mins later the process just errors out and then Poof, another disc in the garbage. My computer system is a Dell Dimension 4600, Intel Pentium III 2.6GHz, 1GB SDRAM.
I tried increasing the virtual memory from 364MB to 768MB. Maybe that's not enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - Sony Handycam HDR-SR11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - Sony Handycam HDR-SR11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How many are you putting onto one DVD?
by whizkid454 / May 2, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

Only 4.7GB will fit on one DVD. Try using only 2 clips of 2GB each. Also, changing the virtual memory will not help in this situation.

Collapse -
Re:
by tmd820 / May 2, 2008 9:55 AM PDT

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I just tried it again with a single video clip of a different event (549MB) and a new, blank DVD. Same problem...as soon as it hits 50%. Here is a more detailed description of the error I'm getting.

Message box has the header: "Error DVD Authoring Tool" along with an error code which is: 0040-0013-8046-0000C005

Collapse -
Not sure about the error, but....
by whizkid454 / May 2, 2008 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Do you have Nero or Roxio on that computer? Sometimes, the burning tool may be out of date. If you have XP, this may be the problem. If you have Vista which has a burning tool built in, you might not be able to use the program and just use the built in DVD authoring program.

Collapse -
Re: error
by tmd820 / May 2, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

I am running XP on my machine but I only have an old version of Nero (StartSmart) which I rarely use. When I just tried to use it now for this project, it gave me an error and took me to the Nero products website to buy the Nero 8 Ultra. I think you're right in that I need an upgrade. What do you recommend?

Collapse -
If you like Nero,
by whizkid454 / May 2, 2008 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: error

Keep it. If you prefer something free, look at FinalBurner. It seems that may be the problem.

Collapse -
PMB failure burning DVD
by davidramirezmolina / May 23, 2008 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: If you like Nero,

I'm having the same problem here - in this case using a SONY DCR-S45 (hard disk camcorder). The files transfer OK to the PC, which has a DVD burner. Selecting the burn icon starts the process on the selected files, which don't add more than 1.5 GB. The process seems to run well, but starts to slow down after 40%. Checking the Windows task manager one sees that the program is running, taking about 60-70 MB of memory (I have 2 GB RAM). Then suddenly it starts to eat up memory, getting to about 130 MB, then falling back to 70 MB.
After that, the program doesnt' seem to do anymore. The percent counter increases very slowly (about 10' to go from 40 to 50%) then it dies with the pop-up announcement af this posting.
In Spanish:

"No se puede escribir en el disco debido a un error"
0040-0013-8046-0000C005

The DVD is partially burned, and the index screen with the still pics of each video clip can be seen, but only the 1st video is accessible.
The disk wont play in a standard player.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Collapse -
other issue
by wcsbill / June 11, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

Im using windows xp and when i go to burn an an hd disk it cant find the drive. tried dvd disk and same story. any suggestions?

Collapse -
PMB PROBLEM
by remohg / May 2, 2009 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: other issue

i have exactly the same problem....anybody can help?

Collapse -
Response to error 0040-0013-8046-0000C005
by antj05 / June 22, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my Handycam SR45. I use a Sony Vaio desktop running Windows XP Home w/ SP2. I contacted Sony support via the chat service on their website.

They advised to download the update from http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=DCRSR45&upd_id=3529&os_id=31

This utility updates Picture Motion Browser Software to address errors that may occur at 50% or 75% progress during DVD writing. Please restart the Computer once you complete the installation.

I hope this helps

Collapse -
Picture Motion Browser - burn error at 50%. DVD Author error
by chris J s / July 23, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

Hurray - I've finally solved the DVD burn error which it seems nearly everybody is experiencing - where it gives the Author DVD error" at 50% complete. After reading all the above I checked msconfig , nothing untoward in there, although beware that if you change a setting you need to reset the boot option back to normal rather than safe. My thoughts turned to DVD burning because I've had issue with burning from Sonic MyDVD before and found that on odd occasions when I could burn video it was because only certain disks were compatibe - for no apparent reason, i.e brand, speed, format etc. . I decided to firstly download Sony's latest update - did all that but no joy, even at 1x speed. Then ran Dell self check on CD/DVD as per their online support instructions. Then downloaded latest CD/DVD driver from Dell support for my Inspiron 510m which has a NEC 6500 DVD+/-RW drive - didnt appear to be much to update bt ran it anyway. After that, as per Dell support instructions I attempted at burning 100MB as opposed to 4GB and hey presto - successful burn. Then came the moment of truth, burning 4GB at optimum speed - HOORAYY. Takes a good hour or so but at last !!! Conclusion is that either the Dell DVD RW driver fixed the problem or the DVD drive self check detected & fixed it. So nothing to do with discs, write speed, file size (PMB updates may have helped but wasn't complete solution). Hope this can help you despairing Sony slaves - I'm off to burn my 6 hours of holiday guff now before either my DCR SR35e or my laptop hard drive maxes out !!!

Collapse -
PMB errors - accessing the camcorder HDD data directly
by chris J s / July 23, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

Failing the above attempts to fix PMB - try just accessing your data by using good old explorer to coipy your mpeg2 files across from your Sony Handycam as follows:

Movie player applications must support mpeg 2 playback to open these files properly. Refer to the software manufacturer for additional information and available updates.

1. Turn on the computer.

2. Make sure the camcorder is turned off.

3. Connect the camcorder to the computer using the supplied USB cable.

4. Plug the AC power adapter into an electrical wall outlet and then connect it to the camcorder.

5. Open the LCD screen on the camcorder.

6. Turn on the camcorder.

7. The USB SELECT screen will be displayed on the LCD; touch the HDD icon.

8. Open the My Computer window on the computer.

9. In the My Computer window, double-click the icon that represents the camcorder and then navigate through the folder structure to locate the video you want to transfer.

NOTES: The camcorder will be listed in the My Computer window as an additional hard drive.

10. Click to select the video or image files you want to transfer.

NOTES: If your are using a High Definition Handycam

Collapse -
It works!
by geodahl / December 21, 2008 2:58 AM PST

Amazingly, this simple method works! I copied the files from the HDD camcorder, then burned a DVD with Windows Movie Maker Version 6.0.6000.16386. Thanx Chris.

Collapse -
error msg.
by cwhodat / June 30, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

I clicked on your link and it says that it's missing something. I really want a solution to this mess! I can't believe that Sony gave you a link like that. I got some guy who didn't speak english and kept insisting it was the kind of disc I was using!

Collapse -
Same problem
by amcrusso / August 20, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

Did you ever fix the probelm? i am having the same problem and have not had any success fixing it. I didn't know if you finally figured it out. I have spent too many hours trying to fix this and am ready to give up and return the camera. I have the SR45, but the same problem.

Collapse -
There isn't anything wrong with the camera...
by whizkid454 / August 20, 2008 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I really don't trust the included software with most cameras and other electronic devices. If the device works without installing/using the software, I forget about it. It's just as easy to plug in the camcorder, import the video files into a video editor, create the project, render the file, and burn to DVD. Sony Vegas' solution works quite well, but others such as Pinnacle and Corel work fine too.

Collapse -
Sony problems
by amcrusso / August 20, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

I have tried that. Roxio says it can't read the format. I have also tried burning straight from the camera to the disk. That doesn't work either. I know my burner is working though.

Collapse -
If Roxio can't read it...
by whizkid454 / August 20, 2008 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony problems

Something is wrong somewhere between the camcorder and the DVD drive. Have you been able to burn DVDs using Roxio? Have you been able to play the video files transferred MANUALLY from the camcorder? (Drag and drop.)

Collapse -
Still confused
by amcrusso / August 20, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

We were able to drag and drop using roxio but not burn a dvd for watching on a dvd player- only for backup purposes.

Collapse -
By drag-and-drop...
by whizkid454 / August 20, 2008 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Still confused

I mean performing the steps listed a few posts above by "Chris J s".

Once you try that, see what Roxio does for you now.

Collapse -
Next step
by amcrusso / August 20, 2008 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: By drag-and-drop...

Thanks - I will let you know.

Collapse -
Broken Burner
by amcrusso / August 26, 2008 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Next step

Well I figured out what the problem was. The burner needed to be replaced. It was only working occassionally and that is why I was having problems. If you get the code from Sony that mnight be what it means.

Collapse -
OK Fixed it - Errror after about 53% conversion
by rajnz / March 1, 2009 7:38 AM PST

This seems to be a common problem and happened with me too. Heres the problem and the fix:
Problem - Your Picture Motion Browser is versions 3.0.00 to 3.2.10, which you got in the CD along with the camcorder - anything but version 3.3.00. You need to upgrade to this version.
Here is the link http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=DCRSR45&upd_id=4026&os_id=7
The file is SPU30_Upgrade0810a.exe
I have a XP home edition. - Cheers
PS it also said on the sony support site that you should "close any unnecessary software applications that may be running on the computer, including applications running on the task bar and in the system tray" - I closed the lot - dont know if this was necessary - probably not
PPS I downloaded the files onto my computer hard drive and burned the DVD from the new picture motion browser on my computer (didnt use the camcorder but can work either way - in other words it can be burned straight from the camcorder too via the computer)

Collapse -
OK Fixed it - Errror after about 53% conversion
by rajnz / March 1, 2009 8:33 AM PST

Here's an update.
I tried to do it again, this time with a couple of applications running - MS Word and IE - though I wasnt using them and the same problem. I shut them down and also my anti-virus ( as I did the last time) and it went through without a problem. So the error is probably caused by the applications running - including those in the background like my anti-virus

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.