Camcorders forum

General discussion

Help! Sony DCR-HC48 or Canon ZR850 or Canon ZR800

by norbertoroman / February 23, 2007 6:37 AM PST

Guys!! Help me out!!

I'm between these three Camcorders after a 2 month debate! Actually I was hoping to find a Canon Elura 100 but is sold out everywhere and is time for a upgrade anyway! The big diference between the ZR850 & the ZR800 is the MIC port on the ZR800.

I love the features of the Sony DCR-HC48 plus the dock included. It seems easy to work with this one, but is new and there's not much reviews out there about the Sony one. I definetly between any of these but as always you guys have the last vote in my electronics decisions!! Sad hahahahaha!! Help!!

The confused one!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Sony DCR-HC48 or Canon ZR850 or Canon ZR800
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Sony DCR-HC48 or Canon ZR850 or Canon ZR800
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmmm...
by boya84 / February 23, 2007 9:42 AM PST

The Sony HC48 does not have a mic-in jack nor does it have the proprietary Sony "active interface shoe" - but this may not be important to you. It has a single 1/6" imaging CCD; 4 lux low light; and a 25x optical zoom.

The Canon ZR800 has an external mic-in and you are not locked into a proprietary mic format - anything with a 1/8 inch connector will do. The 1/6" CCD imager is the same size; it rates itself to 2 lux low light and a 35x optical zoom.

The Canon ZR850 looks the same as the ZR800 but they appear to have traded the mic jack (on the 800) for a remote control (on the 850). So... with the remote, I point the camera, run into the shot (hopefully), point the remote at the camera and hope it is recording There is likely a tally lamp on the front. Without the remote, I point the camera, press record on the camera and run into the shot.

Since you probably shouldn't be any more than a few feet away from the subject you want to be filmed with, personally, I'd go with the mic jack. If you were so far away that you needed to zoom to get the image right, chances are good that 1) you might fall out of the frame anyway and/or 2) you would not be able to hear what was going on (so you want an external mic)... but that's just my opinion.

That said, the ZR800 does not have an accessory shoe for an external mic. Do a search on "camera bracket" and you will find bars and brackets that have a screw mount to the tripod hole in the bottom of the camera - and a hole in that which the tripod can screw into... and it will give you a cold accessory shoe to mount an external mic - if you choose to go this direction. There is another Elura 100 post around here that has links to see what those brackets look like and their price range... and examples of external mics and a universal shock mount...

So... of the 3 cameras you allowed us to choose form, I guess I'd pick the Canon ZR800... Marginally better lowlight; mic-in jack and better optical zoom.

Collapse -
Here's the link to
by boya84 / February 23, 2007 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm...
Collapse -
Help! with My Doubts between Sony DCR-HC48 vs. Canon ZR850
by norbertoroman / February 24, 2007 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm...

It is really bad the built mic in the Mini DV Camcorders??

I really like the Sony and the Canon 850. I really don't mind the mic output! I'm really not going to be recording a lot. Just Family gatherings, My new to come baby in July and Baby showers and Trips to Disney, stuff like that. And what about all the comments on the Firewire cables??

This are the things I like about the Sony DCR-HC48 $399.99:

*25X Optical/2000X Digital Zoom
*1.0 Megapixel Advanced HAD? CCD Imager/1/6? Advanced HAD
*2.7? Wide (16:9)LCD Display
*Super SteadyShot

Collapse -
You can probably live with the internal mic
by boya84 / February 24, 2007 2:43 AM PST

but if you later change your mind, better to have the jack and not need it than want the jack and not have it. As for the Sony's base station, how does that connect to your computer to transfer video? By connecting the base station... The USB port might be a way to transfer (typically for transferring still images off the memory card), but this forum has posts from lots of folks who have tried - and failed - to transfer video from the miniDV tape using USB... only to succeed when they used FireWire...

I am not a Canon bigot - I use a Sony HDR-HC1...

Collapse -
By the way!!
by norbertoroman / February 24, 2007 10:59 AM PST
Collapse -
I did not mean to offend by
by boya84 / February 24, 2007 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: By the way!!

mentioning my camera - I only wanted you to know that I have nothing for or against any particular manufacturer (well OK, I do, but not these) - and am merely tryng to recommend the best one for your stated requirements (and possibly the future).

Honestly, when you boil it all down, either of the cameras you have on your short list will be just fine. Really.

And thanks, I like my rig, too. It took a LONG time for me to justify - and save - the $. But I am glad I waited and saved. Before this, I had a Canon Elura 60 (which my son has now)... and before that I had a full-sized VHS RCA analog shoulder mount monster that I used to use a Dazzle Hollywood digital/analog bridge to import video to my computer... So... for what it is worth, my being nearly 50 (OMG!), I am happy to share what I have learned.

I'll check that link you provided...

You are very welcome.

Collapse -
I went to the link you posted...
by boya84 / February 24, 2007 11:36 AM PST

It is a fine camera. But when compared with the other there are things I would find useful that you may not - like I said, any of those on your short list will be just great.

Collapse -
THE SONY LINK
by norbertoroman / February 24, 2007 12:11 PM PST

What you found useful with the other ones?

I think I go with Sony but I dont know if you check those new camcorders there three of them the ZR850, THE ZR830 AND THE ZR800.

I TAKE ANY ADVICE!!

SO SPIT IT OUT MY FRIEND!!1

HAHAHAHA

THANKS MAN!!

Collapse -
I didn't look at the ZR830 - but
by boya84 / February 24, 2007 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: THE SONY LINK
Collapse -
UPPS SORRY
by norbertoroman / February 24, 2007 12:13 PM PST

FORGET THE PART ABOUT THE ZR SERIES I'M CONFUSED.

I WAS TRYING TO SAY THE HC48 AND THE HC38.

THE LINK OF SONY!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?