Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

help something taken over internet explorer

by dandl / December 1, 2004 6:59 AM PST

hi when am using the internet im constantly getting x rated pop ups and also a window opens and says its scanning my computer for spyware, ive closed the windows and installed ad aware and it says ive removed it but it doesnt stop my browser from getting the x pop ups and scannerthing can anyone help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help something taken over internet explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help something taken over internet explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: help something taken over internet explorer
by Yew / December 1, 2004 9:46 AM PST

AdAware alone isn't going to be enough. You'll need to find a couple of others, and be careful, because some of the spyware removal programs actually contain spyware. Or they're like the original Yahoo toolbar, which just happened to miss spyware from companies Yahoo has financial ties to. I'm sure it was just an oversight.

Once you finally get it cleaned up, do yourself a favor and download Mozilla Firefox, which will become your new browser of choice. From the moment you install Firefox, pretend IE doesn't exist, save for those at least twice monthly visits to the Windows Update site you'll be making for security patches. That should pretty well keep the crap from getting back on your system provided you don't have programs like Real Player, Kazaa, and Weather Bug installed, which contain their own spyware payloads.

Collapse -
by bemoedee / December 2, 2004 1:56 AM PST

Opera ain't so shabby either. Happy

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / December 1, 2004 11:28 PM PST
also a window opens and says its scanning my computer for spyware

So you have something at least, but what?

1. You may experience any one or more of the following symptoms when deceptive software such as spyware or unauthorized adware is installed on the system, [Q827315]:

? When you start your computer, or when your computer has been idle for many minutes, your Internet browser opens to display Web site advertisements.

? When you use your browser to view Web sites, other instances of your browser open to display Web site advertisements.

? Your Web browser's home page unexpectedly changes.

? Web pages are unexpectedly added to your Favorites folder.

? New toolbars are unexpectedly added to your Web browser.

? You cannot start a program.

? When you click a link in a program, the link does not work.

? Your Web browser suddenly closes or stops responding.

? It takes a much longer time to start or to resume your computer.

? Components of Windows or other programs no longer work.

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

2. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

3. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Should you perhaps receive a warning similarly labeled "DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit . ., please access the S&D site and read the information at this link.

d. "CWShredder v2" (a hard site to reach) or "CWShredder v1.59.1."

Note: It is being reported in the "Virus Alerts" forum, "Testers from several security forums are reporting issues with the new CWShredder (version 2). It is recommended to use the original program until further notice."

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal."

4. "StartPage Guard 2.5" is a freeware 422kb download that protects a system from cyberscam by detecting and preventing unauthorized changes to the Internet browser's Start and Search pages and capable of automatically removing most known "invaders".

Note: Also be advised when using "Spybot-S&D" there are lock options which circumvents changing of the Internet Explorer Home Page. Run this program, click Tools, IE tweaks, and note the boxes for certain Lock . . ..

5. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the mentioned five were used and the result if you require further input.

P.S. It is always a good idea to inform us of all update which have been included with the given version of WinXP.
Collapse -
THE ONLY THING YOU NEED!!!!!!

There is only one thing that worked for my pc. You need to go to google search adaware away. Dowload from website. This thing scans for everything it is the best Scanner i have ever seen and its free. Run this program follow the steps get a good pop up blocker i use opera. You won't have any more problems!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?