Question

Help selecting a new Laptop

I am in the market for a new Laptop but want something that exceeds the one I currently have, the basic specs of my current Laptop are below

Gateway FX - 2nd January 2009
17" TFT Matrix Screen
Intel Centrino 2 (2.26 GHz) Dual Core
350Gb Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9800MGTS

and this is the Laptop I want to buy (keep in mind it is 550 Euros)

Packard Bell EasyNote
15.6" Crystal Bright HD
i7 2670QM 4 x 2.2GHz
750Gb Hard Drive
NVIDIA GT 540M

The new PC aslo has Bluetooth and a USB 3.0 port both of which were missing from the Gateway

I play a lot of HD movies so a Dedicated graphics chip is useful, the older Gateway now struggles with the larger 1080p files and I do not want the new Laptop to also have this problem.

Is the Graphics card in my Gateway stronger than the one in the Packard Bell? I'm not a Gamer but I do want my movies to play smoothly.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help selecting a new Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help selecting a new Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To find out try this.

Use google and try the following phrases to find some benchmarks.

NOTEBOOKCHECK 9800MGTS
NOTEBOOKCHECK 540M

Compare the results of their tests.

A parting comment. My Lenovo y530 is a paltry core2duo with some Intel HD GMA graphics and 1080p on the big screen is glorious. Your machines are far better. Why is there any concern about movie playback?
Bob

- Collapse -
Help selecting a new Laptop

If you are decoding HD signals by software (VLC for example), pretty much any laptop would display a 1080 signal on your HD LCD, however, there is a drastic loss of quality using this method, the only way to obtain a "Pure" signal if using x268 data in particular is with the assistance of a graphics card, I believe my processor is letting me down here and can't handle the quantity of data thrown at it, that's why I am considering the i7 to replace it.

I have seen the benchmarks of the two graphics cards already and it appears the 9800M is edges it but its hard to compare the two as some results missing, I guess when the 9800M was in it's prime they didn't test some things 3D for example.

- Collapse -
Having done this.

I would not write there is a loss of quality. I've tried it on my better laptops too.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
The Gateway is

an older model all the components are older and probably USB 3.0 didnt exist when the Gateway was designed. A little secret Pakard Bell was puchased by Gateway then Acer bought Gateway.

- Collapse -
Answer
Dell Laptop Suggestion
- Collapse -
I have an Inspiron and don't suggest it to others.

The display is barely acceptable compared to other laptops in the price range. This is a good value laptop but the case is a bit bendy and students tend to burn this line up in a few years.

I'd suggest going up a model line.
bob

CNET Forums