PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HELP selecting a new computer

by morbid_threadz / April 6, 2004 1:57 PM PDT

I had all of my possessions stolen from me and I need to buy a new computer. I need help getting the specifications correct. Here is what I am going to use it for: DSL internet, play games from my X-Box online (main concern), and listening to music. What do I need to look for in order to play my X-Box through my computer to be able to play online? And is DSL too slow to play X-Box online? Thanks for any help you can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP selecting a new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP selecting a new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go To Computer Repair Shop
by pfeffer3 / April 6, 2004 9:46 PM PDT

Have a no namebrand computer custom built.

Collapse -
Re:HELP selecting a new computer
by JMarchi / April 7, 2004 12:56 AM PDT

At the end of April, probably the 28th, you can buy a Dell Dimension 4600 for around $650 and it should include.

2.8GHz processor (800Mhz bus).
512meg Memory
CD Burner
5 way sound
Office XP Pro (Home for less)
Microsoft Office Basic (Word, Excel, Outlook).
1 year on site warranty
40 or 80GB drive (last quarter it was 80GB)
Keyboard
Mouse
Nvidia 5200 128Mb Video card that supports dual monitors
Free shipping

There is no way you can get a system built for this price with all these components and software.

If you need a monitor they have a 17" for as little as $120 and a 19" for under $200.

I have had clients buy 10-20 systems at each of the last 5 quarter Dell ends and they have been extremely pleased with the systems.

Collapse -
Re:Re:HELP selecting a new computer
by morbid_threadz / April 7, 2004 12:42 PM PDT

Is there any specific components that I need to be able to play Xbox online through my computer?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:HELP selecting a new computer
by JMarchi / April 7, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

Since Xbox online requires an Xbox, according to Microsoft specifications, expecting a regular computer to work is interesting. What makes you think you can get around that one requirement? If you want to play Xbox online why not just buy an Xbox?

If Xbox can be played on a computer the one I specified has got to be within the requirements.

Collapse -
XBOX through puter stuff
by Day2k7 / May 7, 2006 1:51 PM PDT

I don't think this guy is looking to play XBOX Live through his computer actually (though he may correct me) - I think he is asking how to have his XBOX and computer share the same display and the same internet connection.

This is the question I have (which is why I am reading this and similar threads in the first place): Does anyone have thoughts on whether it is better to run an XBOX on a computer monitor through a TV tuner card (higher price, more options, tougher install) or through an adapter (such as StarTech COMP2VGA Game-Console-To-PC-Monitor Adapter - less cost, fewer options, easy install, have to physically switch monitor cable back and forth if you want dual use).

I want to hook up my XBOX so I can run it through my computer monitor. I don't really want to have to switch my monitor cable back and forth between the adapter and my video card but then I don't know how flexible the tuner cards are in this regard either OR WHICH ONE TO GET. Prefer PCI if possible.

The main reason for asking is that I want to share the DSL connection and the monitor if possible. I have a Linksys router WRT54GS and compatible Linksys wireless PCI card if needed.

IDEAS?

My system specs are smokin' for processing speed, power supply, video card, and memory; WinXP Home, monitor is Sony SDM-HS73.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.