HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HELP! scanner & The Print Shop problems

by kinseeker / January 28, 2004 12:42 PM PST

These two problems may be related not sure about that. I have W98se lots of memory left. I went to use Print Shop would not open at all. Went to Control panel and it was not listed as installed. I went to install it and then it tell me it is already installed and I need to delete it. When I go to my programs menu it says The Print shop so clicked on it and another menu came up with the option to uninstall. Did that then reinstalled and when I click on The Print shop it still will not open. Same thing with my scanner. It tells me they can't locate it. I have unplugged and replugged, uninstalled and reinstalled and it still will not work. Also my sound is gone! Sorry this is so darn long but I am getting very frustrated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! scanner & The Print Shop problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! scanner & The Print Shop problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HELP the forum help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 10:16 PM PST

Let's see what's missing from your post? But first, I offer this so you can fill in a few blanks and hopefully more can be found about your issues. Maybe even some fixes. In closing, I'll note the only GOBACK feature in Windows 98.

1. These two problems may be related not sure about that. I have W98se lots of memory left."

Windows 98 has all kinds of memory. While I'll leave it to you to read the Memory Article at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm there are Resource Pools, total RAM, and free hard disk space to be considered. Tell a little about each. Remember that "Free RAM is wasted RAM" in these types of OSes. The article noted can help you understand this area. This is not a fix for your issues, but helps to convey more information to the Forum in case you had 1 Megabyte free on the hard disk...

2. "I went to use Print Shop would not open at all. Went to Control panel and it was not listed as installed. I went to install it and then it tell me it is already installed and I need to delete it. When I go to my programs menu it says The Print shop so clicked on it and another menu came up with the option to uninstall. Did that then reinstalled and when I click on The Print shop it still will not open."

Even with all that, not much can be divined. Any number of plagues or pests could cause this as we learn more about pests, parasites and more. Is the machine free from all Parasites? Tools to detect them are noted at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Even with that, the VERSION of Print Shop is a good thing to share.

3. "Same thing with my scanner. It tells me they can't locate it. I have unplugged and replugged, uninstalled and reinstalled and it still will not work. Also my sound is gone! Sorry this is so darn long but I am getting very frustrated."

Scanners vary wildly as to what issues can occur. Without make or model number and the quoted "EXACT TEXT" of the error, I can only ask you try the scanner on another machine. I see a lot of dead scanners that people spent months trying to revive. My test is simple. If the scanner doesn't work on other machines, it's dead.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows 98 SCANREG /RESTORE feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Windows 98 SCANREG /RESTORE feature.
by kinseeker / January 29, 2004 2:00 AM PST

Thanks Bob for all of the good advice. Guess this is why I went to the newbie forum to learn more about these forums and my computer. I hope next time I have a problem I will remember to give you more info. L

Collapse -
Did you fix it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 2:17 AM PST

If not, just post back with a few more details such as the scanner make/model and such. Newbie or not, this bit of information is key to helping people find a solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Did you fix it?
by kinseeker / January 29, 2004 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Did you fix it?

I have not even attacked the scanner yet today but would you believe my Print Shop started working!! I have no idea what I did. When I go to control panel to add and remove programs it is not listed as one I have installed but it shows up when I go to start programs and its in the dropdown list. Go figure! I will try to work on the scanner this weekend when I have more time. Thanks again

Collapse -
Re:Re:Did you fix it?
by Papa Echo / January 29, 2004 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Did you fix it?

The list at add/remove may not list the program as 'Print Shop' or similar...what about "Borderbound" or similar.. ?
Re scanner- if you go the Control Panel>Systen>Device Manager-is it on the list ? If so, is it with a '?'

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Did you fix it?
by nancycrutcher / January 30, 2004 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Did you fix it?

I have Print shop also on my machine, It shows up as "The Print Shop"

Collapse -
(NT) Different version ?
by christy / January 30, 2004 10:03 AM PST

`

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Did you fix it?
by kinseeker / January 30, 2004 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Did you fix it?

Papa Echo, I went to device manager and the scanner does not show up there. My scanner is a HP scanjet 3200C. I am hoping tomorrow to work with it some more unless you have a wonderful suggestion other then what I have already tried and I have listed those things in my first plea for help. Thanks

Collapse -
reinstalling scanner...
by Papa Echo / January 30, 2004 11:23 PM PST

Switch on the scanner, go into safe mode, go to device manager and remove every instance of the scanner. If scanner is USB,Switch off the scanner, go back into normal mode, install scanner driver, shut down computer, switch on scanner and reboot computer. Scanner will be detected...at first scan, go to file>acquire and choose acquire source...
If scanner is parallel port model, after removal in safe mode, reboot and Windows will detect the scanner...follow on-screen instructions to install the driver. Likewise with USB model, you may have to acquire the source...

Collapse -
Is HP 3200C a good scanner?
by pmaryanne / September 23, 2005 9:45 AM PDT

Want to buy a HP 3200 scanner, but don't know anything about it. Is it dependable

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.