Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Help saving email from Outlook when it crashes

by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 / October 10, 2013 5:16 AM PDT

Our computer did an automatic update and when my wife turned the computer on today, the computer froze when she started Outlook which is the email program.

The email is still there on the disk but how do I copy it if Outlook won't cooperate? What files are we looking for on the computer?

We are using Windows XP.

Thank you.

ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help saving email from Outlook when it crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help saving email from Outlook when it crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which Outlook?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 5:22 AM PDT

Some versions have PSTs, other use OST, but that's the entire email storage. As a seasoned user you would back this up from time to time along with the other things you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 / October 10, 2013 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Outlook?

Thank you. You answered my question!

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 5:30 AM PDT

Outlook mail is in a file with the extension .pst in her profile. Easy to find and easy to copy. But useless if you don't have Outlook running.

But do I understand correctly you didn't include it in your regular backup? That generally is interpreted to mean that it's not important and that you don't mind losing it. So why mind?

Anyway, I'd try to fix the issue. Some suggestions:
- Undo the update. Start with the most likely one form the list of yesterdays updates, than continue if necessary to the very last one.
- All in one step: system restore back to the restore point Windows made before it did the backups. But be sure to hide those updates, otherwise they will be reinstalled automatically
- Uninstall Outlook and install it again from the original disk. But then again, the fatal update might happen again.

But it's always possible that the issue isn't related to an update or that the above doesn't help. So I would first try to see what happens if your run Outlook in it's safe mode. I'll give a link for that: http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner-user/start-outlook-in-safe-mode/

Kees

Collapse -
Email will still be there
by ChuckJTS-23427222252684036696820606199520 / October 10, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook

A computer Guru said that I can uninstall outlook and reinstall outlook. He said that Outlook stores the email in a seperate location and still will be there.

I closed everything today on the computer and started Outlook and the program worked. I did close a second anti-malware program before I opened Outlook which never caused a problem before but it could be because of the update so I uninstalled the second anti-malware program.

Computers should come with a second drive and the backup would be almost automatic.

Collapse -
Re automatic backups
by wpgwpg / October 10, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .
-
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.