Samsung forum

General discussion

Help! Samsung 55" 1080P LED HDTV Not Responding to remote(s)

Recently my Samsung 55" 1080P LED HDTV (UN55B8000XF) stopped responding to the (Manufacturer or Programmable) remotes. The only successful command the TV accepts is the Power ON request from the remote but I am unable to Power OFF the TV with any remote device. I also am unable to successfully have the TV respond to any other functions on the remote, Menu, Tools, Source, etc...

In addition the blue LED light at the bottom of the TV under the SAMSUNG symbol is constantly flickering while the TV is on (I know the TV has the four settings: Off, In Standby, Watching TV, Always - mine set to Watching TV) Previous to my issue this light would only flash when a command was selected on the remote and the TV received it and executed it. I was thinking the remote sensor on the TV has malfunctioned or somehow being jammed by another device transmitting to it?

Does anyone know if this is the case and what the solution is (Cost $)?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Samsung 55" 1080P LED HDTV Not Responding to remote(s)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Samsung 55" 1080P LED HDTV Not Responding to remote(s)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Help! Samsung 55" 1080P LED HDTV Not Responding to remote(s)

AZGiovanni2000,

Collapse -

Thanks, that was one of my initial thoughts so I checked all remotes and no buttons are pushed. I also thought maybe some other low frequency transmitter is interfering with the TV but not sure what it could be?

I contacted 800-SAMSUNG and they advised it could be the TV remote sensor has failed and that a technician would need to be called out to run a diagnostic.

The really odd piece is that my buddy who lives close by and has the 7000 series model told me the other day he needs to hit the power button twice on his remote to turn off his TV. I actually had to do the same thing at the beginning of my issue but now nothing works as I stated.

Collapse -

In reply to: Reply

AZGiovanni2000,

Collapse -

NP, just posting this out on a couple of forums to get any suggestions or troubleshooting tips before I pay a technician to come out and take a look and tell me something like, "it's the board that needs to be replaced and it's going to cost you $900+" or something of that nature.

If I hit the power button on any remote for the TV, the blue led blinks (more apparent then flickering) and nothing happens? I can keep hitting it and the light will blink each time with no execution of the TV turning OFF?

The only way to turn the TV OFF is to hit the POWER button on the TV itself.

Collapse -
UPDATE

Apologies mod for the double post....

I wanted to give an update. Friday I had a tech come out and take a look at the TV and he brought with him the original manufacturer remote (I believe it had Korean writing) to test the TV and he had no response as well. His diagnosis was the 'capacitor' switches are probably bad which is causing the interference. He was going to find out if he could just replace the switch itself (cheaper) or had to replace the whole piece (more expensive). I am expecting his return call this week with his findings.

As of Sunday evening, the problem stopped!? The light under the TV stopped flickering and I have full functionality of the TV remote? I continue to retrace my steps from Fri to Sun and see if I have done/did do anything that would have fixed it and couldn't come up with anything? Wish that would have happened prior to the $85 tech call that lasted 2 min, but I am still optimistic it could start up again so I will find out what the cost to replace the capacitor switches and go from there.

Collapse -
Constant flash receiver led on tv

I had this problem when led kept flashing on tv.
I took out batteries of remote light stop flashing on tv.

I watched youtube video to repair remote.

Chances are contacts in remote have developed corrosion on board and need to be cleaned with a q tip and electrical parts cleaner.

Be careful disassembling your remote or it won’t reassemble properly.

Easiest fix if you are not mechanical is to probably replace remote.

Collapse -
Help

Hello AZGiovanni2000,
I'm having this same problem with my two year old Sammy 55" LCD LED 7 series. I get nothing from the remote although the "on light" on the TV flickers as if it is getting a signal, the TV button doesn't do anything either... only way to turn it off/on is unplug it.... it also scroll's thru the inputs randomly at times...

Is yours fixed? anymore problems? any tips?

Please and Thanks for any help!

Collapse -

In reply to: Help

Toecutr,

When I initially posted this message back in June, the TV "fixed" itself and whatever the interference was, stopped.

It started back up a couple of weeks ago and now yes it sometimes will scroll through the inputs. I am unable to use the buttons on the TV now and have to physically unplug it to turn it off. It has also reset all the default options and gone into "DEMO" mode like if you were at the store. The blue light continues to flicker non-stop.

I am all out of idea's and want to just pack it up and send it back to SAMSUNG.

Is yours still having an issue?

Collapse -
Still Screwy

Hey AZGiovanni
Actually just saw this.... sorry for the delay getting back. So mine fixed it self as well, lasted until about a week ago and now it's back doing the same ol' song and dance, Bah!!! Did you ever find a fix?

I hope this finds you well!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Same exact problems

Hey AZGiovanni2000,
We must have gotten the same batch of TV's... Mine is doing exactly the same thing, demo mode and all... Very frustrating... Found a fix for the input scrolling, but the remote and demo mode are still screwed up. Pretty much un-watchable..... Did you get yours fixed? If so what fixed it?

Please and Thanks!

Collapse -
Hi i fixed it

In reply to: Same exact problems

Check loose wires behind your tv. They may rub against touch sensitive buttons and put it into demo mode. Lol

Collapse -
Touch sensitive bottons on the back of the TV?

In reply to: Hi i fixed it

Hello S2sam,
Do you mean there is touch sensitive bottons on the back of the TV? Just want to be clear on the fix...

Thanks!

Collapse -
Moving wires really worked. :)

This is genius. I seriously can't believe that was exactly the problem with my 8000 series 65 inch. Did everything from changing the batteries to updating the software n nothing worked. I've installed external lights from ikea which is wired. Move the wires and it worked like a charm. Thanks.

Collapse -
Jiggling the cables worked!

Wow I have to say thank youuuuuuu!!!!!!!! This totally worked!!!!

My Samsung remote suddenly stopped working and I tried everything including the whole check the sensor with the camera bit, change the batteries, turn off the remote and press whatever button for 60 seconds, as well as trying multiple times to pair it with the TV. Nothing fixed the issue.

BUT WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT THAT SIMPLY JIGGLING THE CABLES BEHIND THE TV WOULD MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER!?!?

5 years later and you are still helping people solve the Samsung remote problem. Not all heroes wear capes!!!

From the ever grateful gal who just wanted to Netflix and chill (no like, actually just Netflix and chill) on a Thursday night,
BL

Collapse -
Repair

In reply to: Help

Take batteries out of remote.
Light should stop flickering.
Your remote is the problem.
Take remote apart clean contacts reassemble.
Corrosion will be evident on board .
I found repair on u tube.

I light on tv stops flashing after you take batteries out it is easier to just buy another remote if your not mechanical.

Collapse -
It might be an external hard drive at fault

"I am aware that this thread is old, but I still want to post a reply."

My Samsung TV recently started exhibiting symptoms similar to what is mentioned here: remote commands stopped being received, and the on-TV power light was in a state of constant flicker.

The problem? I had an external hard drive plugged in via USB. I wasn't even viewing media on it when this problem occurred, but it was plugged in. And the instant I unplugged it, the problem went away and the TV started accepting remote commands normally again, and the power light went back to normal.

This has occurred three times for me now - always when the hard drive was plugged in but had gone long-unused - and I've never seen this problem with the hard drive unplugged (nor actively-in-use).

I suspect the hard drive has some kind of 'sleep' mode that, when it triggers, the TV doesn't very well deal with the activity it's detecting on the USB port, and gets into a bad state.

So if anyone else finds themselves having an issue with symptoms like the OP describes, check what you have plugged in via USB, and see if removing it causes the problem to go away.

Collapse -
I have reversed the power cable going inside the TV and this

In reply to: It might be an external hard drive at fault

I found the below information from the Samsung User Manual:

"When the TV is turned on, the remote control receiver flashes 5 times before the screen turns on.
If you find that you are having problems powering on your Samsung television, there are a number of
things to check before calling the service department.
If the power cord is connected properly and the remote control is operating normally, the problem might
be with the antenna cable connection or the cable/satellite box not being turned on. Check the antenna
connection or turn on the cable/satellite box."

I have reversed the power cable going inside the TV and this fixed my problem instantly.

Collapse -
Pair Remote to TV to fix remote not responding

If only the power button is working on the remote, it needs to be re-paired with the tv. To do this, remove the batteries from the remote, hold down the power button on the remote for 20 seconds, replace the batteries, and then hold down the return and guide button until you see the battery indicator on the screen. At this point, your remote will be paired and all of the remote buttons will work again.

Collapse -
Other pair options.

In reply to: Pair Remote to TV to fix remote not responding

Hold the Return and Play button aimed at the tv until pairing showa on the screen.

Collapse -
6 years later and still same issue happens

what's amazing about this thread is that it was started 6 years ago and still the same issue plagues Samsung. I have a 55" Samsung 4K SHUD BN59-01223A and all the symptoms stated on this thread from over 5 years ago happened

1) A few weeks ago, I started having to press the power button twice to turn the TV on.
2) Just last night the power button would work (remote indicator would flicker red) but no other buttons would work.
3) Power button is the only button that works
4) Tried the whole: "Take out the batteries, hold the power button for 20 secs, putting the batteries back in and then holding down the guide button waiting for the battery indicator light" but after holding it down for 3 mins straight and nothing happening I figure its something else...

Does anyone have any solution to this issue? It seems like it's a universal Samsung issue

Collapse -
It must be access to a drive

In reply to: 6 years later and still same issue happens

This started on my TV (UN50JU6500) a few days ago. The only change I had made was I had swapped the thumb drive (with my music collection I had just updated) plugged into a USB port. This 64 Gb thumb drive was the same brand and model as the one it replaced which had been plugged in for several months without a problem. However, as soon as I unplugged it, the problem with the remotes disappeared. It may be that cheaper USB drives have areas which don't respond quickly enough, and interrupt the TV's system. The reason I am using the USB drive is that the TV will connect to my WD MyBookLive on the network, but will only play for a few minutes before losing the connection. Here again Samsung Tech Support was not helpful.

Collapse -
Just an idea.

In reply to: It must be access to a drive

Don't use WiFi on the NAS or TV. Test wired.

Collapse -
If only I had known

In reply to: 6 years later and still same issue happens

Same TV, same problem.......less then a year old

Collapse -
So Depressed... Fee like someone's messing with me!

I have a similar situation to the ones posted in this thread, but I think mine may take top prize for most annoying. We have a 65" (UN65H6350AF) that is about 26 months old. About 3 months ago the volume stopped working. Well, that's not exactly accurate. It would sill work with the remote but barely. I'm talking 5 mins to move the volume from 30 to 25... The weirdest thing is that it will work fine one minute and then not all the next. A week or two the volume issue began it also started to affect other things like turning the TV on / off, switching inputs, accessing internal menus, etc...

I figured it would make sense to possibly do a firmware update and that's when I noticed it would no longer connect to my home WiFi network. It doesn't even see any wireless networks at all. Stupid TV just spins away searching for a network. Not sure if the issue is connected to remote control stuff, but this TV is a joke.

So, the issue with the remote working intermittently isn't actually a problem with the remote, All of those same functions are not working when using the TV's actual controls as well. I connected to my router using a wired connection and tried to update the software. First it told me that the last time an update was done was 1/4/2013. I bought it on 1/31/2015. Pretty sure it was new when I got it. LOL... Anyway, I tried to update the software figuring something must have changed in 4+years, but it told me the software is up to date. How can that be possible? All I know is this thing is the biggest piece of crap! I want to go back in time and track down Consumer Reports and hit them over the head with my useless $1500 TV. Happy

Collapse -
Need to Pair Remote again

I had the same problem, only Power button working and the sensor kept blinking. I aimed the remote from 5 inches away and held the Return Arrow button and Play button until the pairing message appears. This step synched my remote back with my TV. Frustration resolved.

Collapse -
JIGGLE THE CABLES!!!

GUYS. GUYS. GUYS!!!!! JIGGLE THE FREAKIN CABLES BEHIND THE TV!! I'M NOT KIDDING THIS ACTUALLY WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!

My remote control suddenly stopped working fully, only being able to turn the TV on/off or bringing up the Home screen. It got stuck on 100 volume at 11:00pm sooooo that was annoying. I tried all the basic trouble shooting stuff and nothing worked. Stumbled upon this board and tried jiggling the cables as per S2sam's suggestion.... and it worked.... the remote control instantly paired with the TV and everything is A-okay.

Out of all the high tech stuff in this world with the fancy solutions ya still can't get away from a simple jiggle the cable fix.

Collapse -
Samsung LN450C - same problem, tv not responding to remote

I'm so glad I found this thread - jiggling the cables in the back (unbelievably) worked! So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU - to everyone posting this solution - you've saved me a lot of time and frustration!

Collapse -
Need help as well! Power & volume on remote works randomly

Similar to others, the remote doesn't work properly. It's the power and volume and it rarely works but every now and then it will, you never know. I've noticed that if I put my finger over the "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" port on the back of the TV then the remote works. I don't have anything plugged into it. What does this mean for my solution? And yes, I've tried everything mentioned: batteries, repairing, turning off, reset, jiggling cables, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.