Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!

by ThePoopsmith / March 17, 2004 11:50 AM PST

Hey I need to answer this quickly before this RPC thing shuts down my computer?this is a huge system emergency, I just got windows xp (so im kind of a newb for it?talk to me in stupid) I keep getting this rpc error and I read somewhere that someone has gotten into my computer and fubbed things up! Please help me as quickly as possible cause I cant be online long before ?windows will automatically shut down?. I had to copy this to word before I got online so I could paste fast!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poopsmith, Do This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!

Click on the link below and download the Blaster patch to your computer. Once it's there, get off the internet, shut down all background programs, then double click on the file to install it.

Blaster Patch Download Link Q824146

Once that's done, come back here and download the McAfee "Stinger" tool from the link below. Once it's there, restart the computer into "Safe Mode", using the instructions below, then run the Stinger tool repeatedly till it comes up clean:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 11:58 AM PST

"Restoring Internet connectivity and preventing the computer from shutting down
In many cases, on both Windows 2000 and XP, changing the settings for the Remote Call Procedure (RPC) service may allow you to connect to the Internet to obtain downloads, and will stop the computer from shutting down.

1. Click Start > Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
2. Type:

SERVICES.MSC /S

in the open line, and then click OK. (The Services window opens.)

3. In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

CAUTION: A service named Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator exists. Do not confuse the two.

4. Right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Recovery tab.
6. Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to "Restart the Service."
7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back once you have removed the worm."

- http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

- http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Collapse -
Re:HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!
by ThePoopsmith / March 17, 2004 12:28 PM PST

o....my....god you kick are the best! I'm serious, you saved my butt once again! If I was rich id definately send you some bling, heh guess thats the next best thing. well thanks again. thought my computer was done for! well while i ahve your attention, now that i ahev xp whenever i open word it tries to install xp frontpage or soemthing and i dont have the disc for that, i just click cancel and it takes me to word. how can i stop this from happening?

Collapse -
Re:Re:HELP! RPC ERROR!!!!!!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 1:28 PM PST

Poopsmith,

Glad we could help with your "Blaster" problem. Now that you're able to access the internet safer, and because you have a new machine, I recommend visiting the "Windows Update" site and install all of the "CRITICAL Updates" only. (While on the internet in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Windows Update" and follow the prompts to visit the site.) There are a large number of updates that should make your computer more secure and function smoother.

In regards to the Microsoft Word vs Frontpage issue, which version of Word do you have installed (Open Word, click on "Help" in the upper left, choose "About Microsoft Word") and do you also have other Microsoft Office programs, such as Excel or Powerpoint installed?

If Word was installed on your computer, how did it get there? Where is the CD that installed it? You should have been given a copy by the installer or by the manufacturer that built the computer.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.