Question

Help required with Video storage

We have a lot of video footage from our various vacations. As you can imagine it is precious stuff we don't want to lose! Looking through various sites on the internet, I am not clear on what the most robust and reliable storage mechanism is.

Some considerations:
1. Internal vs. External: I know Internal is cheaper, but which is likely to last longer?

2. Docking Station for Internal Hard Drive: a friend recommended this, but my concern is won't the Internal Drive degrade if you either: (i) leave it sticking out of a docking station; or (ii) continually insert it and remove it.

3. External Drive with Enclosure: is this worth considering, and how would it compare with (2) for longevity and reliability?

4. RAID solutions: have read a bit about data redundant solutions, but have no real idea how to set this up. What would I need and how would I set it up?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help required with Video storage
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help required with Video storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Let's get over one issue fast.

A single copy on one drive or even two copies on the same drive no matter how reliable fails folk all the time.

RAID is interesting with the DROBO (see google) but is no cure for having no backup.

If you can't lose them, get two drives and keep them synced. Here I have 3 drives that I sync but then I really don't want to lose my stuff.
Bob

- Collapse -
How do I do it?

Thanks Bob -- but I would I set this up? What drives and configuration would you recommend?

CNET Forums