Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Help request from our Brit members

by Pat S / February 25, 2005 1:55 AM PST

A friend of mine got notification of her winning L500,000 in a lottery. She has been corresponding with them via e-mail and they sent her a claim form and requested a photocopy of her Drivers License or passport. She inquired as to the reasoning behind this request and asked for confirmation of the legitimacy of the organization and received the below response. What do you guys think? She is lurking and waiting to see any replies. Thanks. Patrick.

Here is their info:

Empire Trust Agency
TEL [DIRECT]-44 7040-114-899
FAX-44 7005-805-966
FAX-44 7005-964-828

Dear ,

Your email has been received. In the United Kingdom you are not permitted to operate a lottery without been registered with the United Kingdom Gaming board and also the Euro Gaming Commission. Reference should be made to the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 and the Lotteries Regulations 1993 for precise details of the law. Copies are available from the Stationery Office. The Gaming Board for Great Britain has published ?Lotteries and the Law?, which is a useful source of information. I can assure you that we are duly registered with all relevant agencies and we operate a legitimate and open lottery scheme.

Nonetheless, it is worthy to note that this lottery is purely a philantrophic and charitable scheme. Our winners are not compelled to make claims.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help request from our Brit members
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help request from our Brit members
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"without been registered with the United Kingdom Gaming boar
by drpruner / February 25, 2005 2:00 AM PST

1) Bad grammar, from the people who invented the language!!

2) UK has very few "boards" at the national level; mostly Ministries. E.g., Ministry of Silly Walks. Happy

As Kipling's schoolkids used to say, Cave! "Beware."

Now, my Nigerian friends have a really really good deal for her ... Happy
Regards, Doug 'cautious as a serpent' in New Mexico

Collapse -
it smells phishy to me
by Dick White / February 25, 2005 2:01 AM PST

very phishy. There are a number of similar scams reported to another security help board I work with.

dw

Collapse -
Forward the e-mail to any British Newspaper like the
by Ziks511 / February 25, 2005 2:14 AM PST

Independent or the Guardian or the Times or Daily Express and ask them the question. I think its a scam, how did she get the ticket? Also contact BBC Watchdog, a TV program that just loves stuff like this. you can find them on the web at http://www.BBC.co.uk.

Also "it is worthy to note" instead of 'it is worth noting', the United Kingdom Gaming "board" instead of 'Board', also "Euro" (a currency) Gaming Commission instead of European Gaming etc. though I don't think that the European union has gone so far as to regulate lotteries in the individual countries, at least they hadn't in 2001 when we lived in Britain.

Best of luck.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
General lottery rule: If you don't enter, you don't win!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 25, 2005 2:15 AM PST

Unfortunately, Patrick, 99%+ of those "you've won the lottery" e-mails are phony -- either there will be expenses to be frayed to secure your winnings, they want your bank account number so they can wire the money (the account will be emptied forthwith), or sometimes (adding insult to injury), both!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thaks guys
by Pat S / February 25, 2005 2:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Unless she purchased a lottery ticket
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2005 2:38 AM PST

I'd say this is a scam. And wouldn't they choose a Brit to win their lottery?

Since when has she been corresponding with them, since they wrote from out of the blue and told her she'd won?

Entering "British Lotteries" in Google lists several scams. Might check to see if it's the same one.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!