Desktops forum

General discussion

Help req'd with screen resolution problem with new desktop

hi, I've just purchased a 2nd hand dell optiplex GX260 it's hard drive has been wiped clean so i've had to install the OS (windows XP Pro is now on)but after doing this i've found that the screen resolution will not change i think that i may not have the right driver installed for the monitor i'm using ? the monitor i'm using is not a dell does that matter ? do i need a dell monitor ? the screen resolution is 640 by 480 pixels at the low side but if you try to move it to higher it will not move ?? do i need new drivers ? if so can anybody give me a link to where i can get it from ? i'm not very good at finding these things ?for any help i would be grateful, Thanks Steve.

any

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help req'd with screen resolution problem with new desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help req'd with screen resolution problem with new desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: missing driver

In reply to: Help req'd with screen resolution problem with new desktop

It's not a missing monitor driver (monitor don't have drivers, although they come with .inf-files that describe their capabilities), but a missing driver for the graphic card.

As Dell usually sells its machine is different configurations (that can have different videocards depending on the customers wishes) we can't tell what card it contains and what driver you need.
Your best chance is to download Belarc Advisor (free) and see what it finds out about the video card. Armed with that knowledge visit the download section of dell.com (or nvidia.com or ati.com, depending on what it finds).

Monitors are highly interchangeable. So you don't need a Dell monitor.

Kees

Collapse -
RE : Missing drivers

In reply to: Re: missing driver

Hey, Thanks for your help guys i've sorted out my screen with your advise(thanks)but i've still got a problem with my modem? my comp will not see my internet connection with the RJ45 cable? but it will with a USB cable ? why's that ? i'm on a cable modem and i have a belkin wireless router but i cant use it with a usb cable so i need to get my RJ45 cable working ? is it something to do with the network drivers ? any help here please ?

Best Regards Steve.

Collapse -
Check into...

In the device mgr. make sure the devices are ID'ed as what they are. As for the video card or port be sure the proper drivers are installed. It appears you have the default MS driver. You can visit the maker's support website and get those video drivers and/or .INF file for the monitor. Once done and properly configure you can test the resolutions setting. Reloading the OS won't necessary provide all makers drivers or setting. And no you don't need a Dell monitor.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Something they don't tell you?

Let me just be quick about it and not explain the why.

When we change machine or connections to the cable modem, turn it off, change the connection then power the cable modem back up.
Bob

Collapse -
RE : Something they dont tell you?

In reply to: Something they don't tell you?

Hi Bob. i wish it was that easy? i have been digging a bit more to find out what is causeing my problem and in devise manager under other divices it is showing a yellow question mark under three items which are :-

Ethernet Controller
Mutimedia Audio Controller
Universail Serial Bus(USB)Controller

if you click on these they are all saying that the drivers are not installed? if you click on reinstall drivers it ask's for a cd or you let it find them for you it comes back saying it cant find them?

So i think this may be my problem but as i said in a preavous message i'm not very good at finding these drivers so direct links to them would be very helpfull? (if thats possable)

Thanks
Best Regards Steve.

Collapse -
Windows and drivers have a history.

In reply to: RE : Something they dont tell you?

The install driver or update driver does not function. Never has.

To fix this you become the expert sleuth whose forensic tools rival Sherlock himself. I can't be anymore specific than "dell.com" for the drivers that I would use for what Dell put into the machine.

If you can't find or identify hardware then the usual resolution is to buy sound, network or other cards that come with drivers so you can get it working.

-> This is far from automatic and nothing at Microsoft has improved here. We are still left with the mess that is drivers and Windows. Dive in and go find those drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Visit Dell.com

In reply to: RE : Something they dont tell you?

All those devices that had the "yellow flag" can be corrected. Since, you have a Dell system, go to the Dell support website. Once there look under the "support section". You have 3-choices to select from, enter either your model# -or- serial# -or- service tag. Once you input and follow the prompts you can get the drivers you need. Once you do that, hopefully you can correct your issues. It pretty self-explanatory, good luck.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re vist dell.com

In reply to: Visit Dell.com

thanks everybody for all your help i'm sorted now.
Best Regards Steve.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.