Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installed!

Hello..I have a Dell Optiplex 745 PC, w/Win XP Prof(sp3)O/S installed. I just recently got my pc set up at a new residence and internet connected, but hadn't yet installed any antivirus software. Within the first few hrs of use, I already have a virus on the system! So far, 2 windows have popped up, 1st one says: "Windows Security Alert", application cant be started, file update.exe damaged, and do u want to activate antivirus sftware now? Then the 2nd: "ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ALERT", Attack From: 187.184.229.27, Port 37689, attacked from port 44436 and Threat: Win32/Nugel.E
I do have a Norton Antivirus 2004, given to me, that hasn't been activated yet & planned on using it. I've been careful NOT to click on any of the windowns that pop up and have tried to get rid of them by ending the program, thru task mgr, but it wont actually "end" the program from running. Is there a way I can do so and/or somehow install the Norton 2004 I do have, in order to get rid of it? Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone could offer me!.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installed!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installed!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing the Rogue Program

In reply to: Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installed!

kimmyhead..

At the below removal guide, scroll down to where you see, "Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus Suite using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:". Follow ALL the steps.

Remove Antivirus Suite (Uninstall Guide)

Note Step #2 where it says:

'It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If you run into this problem when following the steps in this guide you will need to download the files requested in this guide on another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive."

Regarding Step #8:

It is imperative you follow the instructions for using the Rkill tool .. "to the letter". Especially, where it's noted "not to reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again". Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware immediately after running Rkill.

As far as Norton 2004 is concerned, it's not going to help you in this case. After cleaning your computer, you're going to have to install an up-to-date anti-virus. Without current definitions (updates), the program is pretty much useless. There are quite a few good FREE anti-viruses, available to you, if you're interested. We can make suggestions, after you clean your system.

If you run into ANY problems along the way, please do not hesitate to post back and ask.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
RE: Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installe

In reply to: Removing the Rogue Program

Thank you Carol, for the help and clear instructions! I'll let you know how it goes! I just love, love, love this site! I usually come here 1st with any questions I have and have always got the right answer..I've suggested it to many that I know. Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) Good luck! And take your time. :)

In reply to: RE: Help removing virus from Win XP, w/no Antivirus installe

Collapse -

In reply to: Removing the Rogue Program

Hi Carol..I was a little confused about something and figured I'd best stop & ask before moving on. I clicked on your link, "Remove Antivirus Suite(uninstall guide)" and it took me to the "Shopzilla" site, where I downloaded the Antivirus Suite onto my flash drive. When I started up my computer and inserted the flash drive, the installation seems to have gone okay, then it ran a full scan, where it found 222 issues; 2 of which were the 'rogue' ones that are trying to infect my computer. When the scan finished it gave me the option to have them removed, which I clicked, and it then told me in order to do so, I first must register. So I clicked that and it tells me I have to pay $9.99 for a 1 yr subscription, etc. Is this the correct site? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Chances are you clicked on an ad :(

Hi kimmyhead..

I'm glad you asked, before paying for anything. ALL the tools mentioned are free.

The link I provided was to the removal guide. In all likelihood, once there, you clicked on the Stopzilla ad at the top of the page. I should have warned you against clicking on any of the ads. And been more emphatic when saying to scroll down to where it says, "Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus Suite using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:"

If you have a program such as CCleaner, I would suggest running it. If not, make use of XP's Disk Cleanup Tool, in order to cleanup some of the Stopzilla files.

I don't want to take anything for granted. I want to make sure you're aware, that the two windows alerting you of a virus, came from the rogue software. They were fake alerts. And that's what you're looking to remove.

As noted, scroll down to "Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus Suite using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and proceed from there. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is the only legitimate software mentioned on the page. (As is the Rkill tool) If something looks like an ad? It IS an ad. Happy

Please do post back, if you have any further questions.

Carol

Collapse -

In reply to: Chances are you clicked on an ad :(

How stupid of me! If I'd just scrolled down a little further, like you said, I'd have seen what you were talking about! I realized soon as I posted my last one to you! Anyway, MANY THANKS to you, Carol and everyone else for their suggestions. My PC is "cured" of it's virus! Thanks again for all your help.

Collapse -
Glad we were able to help. A word of caution..

Kimmy..

In your original post, you stated "I do have a Norton Antivirus 2004, given to me, that hasn't been activated yet & planned on using it."

IF you plan on sticking with a Norton product, I would strongly recommend you upgrade to a newer version. Without knowing your present situation, it's possible, you may find when you DO activate it, you won't have the ability to install any updates.

I would also suggest using the Norton Removal Tool, prior to installing a newer version. And more importantly, if you decide to switch to a different A/V.

By your own admission, you said you had been very cautious. Yet, two hours after first using the PC, you were infected. While A/V software isn't your first line of defense, (YOU are) it's extremely important you have one "up and running". P.D.Q. and A.S.A.P. I think I made my point. Happy

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
RE: Glad we were able to help. A word of caution

In reply to: Glad we were able to help. A word of caution..

Thanks and already have Norton 360 up and running!

Collapse -
Free Antivirus Choices

Kimmyhead:

There are several good free choices out there. However, one of the simplest and best to use is Microsoft Security Essentials. You can download this free software at:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx?mkt=en-us#dlbutton

Oh, but if you have Comcast as your Cable Internet Provider (perhaps unlikely), you can, instead, log in to Comcast.net and download and install completely free of charge the current version of Norton Security Suite, the retail product. Comcast offers this superb security software to all its Internet customers for free, no fee, no subscription whatsoever. Just have to be a Comcast customer. Wish all ISPs did this for their customers.

Collapse -
sneaky virus

it sounds exactly like the one I just got rid of from my ex's laptop. It would not let you do anything but buy their 'fix' software. it was good in looking like it was windows that was giveing the msg.
She has W7 home with good ol' Norton and McAfee
that didnt catch it - oooh what a surprise there.
my final fix - re-install w7 with format - installed Avast, Malware and Ccleaner.
My son and I worked all afternoon on this - he is
an It teck mngr. There just didnt seem any way around
this. I think this is similar to a prob we discussed
in cnet a year or so ago. they must have moved it up to w7.

Collapse -
I Don't Understand

Didn't your machine already have an antivirus on it? I mean, moving it to a new location shouldn't affect its vulnerability. Did you buy it used?

Anyhow, don't even bother with Norton 2004. It will slow that old machine down to a standstill. Get a good, modern freeware AV program like Avast (there are others but Avast seems to me to be the best right now) or spring for the newer Norton 2011 which runs much lighter and cleaner than those older versions.

And since you just set it up, well, you may as well do a complete wipe and reload from your O/S distribution disk. That's the safest and most thorough way to deal with infections on a machine that you haven't properly configured yet.

First download the AV program to a CD.

Then wipe and reinstall the O/S from DVD or from the disk partition where the .cab files are located.

Then install the A/V application from the installation program on the CD you just made.

Then use Windows Update to update your O/S to current. This last step will take a while and probably require that you run Update numerous times, rebooting the computer between each update. Keep running it until it gives the message "Windows is up to date." This may take four updates, possibly more depending on the version on your O/S partition or distribution DVD.

Some essential freeware applications to install after you've got your newly "refurbished" machine up and running include Spybot Search & Destroy and CC ("Crap Cleaner"). These plus an antivirus should keep your machine relatively clean and safe.

Collapse -
I had supplied an answer 2X and both were deleted, WINXP

In reply to: I Don't Understand

SP3 and running an DELL Optiplex computer with SP3.t was originally a Pro but I backed it down an reinstalled it from my Optiplex Recovery CD as WINXP Home Edition. I do not use Spybot from safer-networking .org for it reasds a spyware in the Restricted Zone of Both IE 6 SP3 AND IE8. Why were They REMOVED!! Darrell

Collapse -
At the top is Welcome to A, V and security forum link

In reply to: I had supplied an answer 2X and both were deleted, WINXP

1] http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-238606.html
I also have a DELL Desktop Optiplex and it is that order you find information. There a ton of free Antivirus scans under 1]. I also mentioned in the 2 posts, about it residing in System Restore. To remove that would make it more easier to remove. Go to Start (left click) to Control Panel to System Icon, right click to open ad the first tab on the left will say: System Restore. check the box there and click yesYou can Create a Restore Point later[System Restore in All Programs-Acessories to System Tools, requires uncjeck of box]] or do the reverse.
It had mentioned that drivers could also be found on a DELL VISTA or Windows Update. I use my Service Tag. I also mentioned CCleaner ver. 3.04 that will clean out the registry, and if it is still there, right click the item in ccleaner and click on registry to remove it manually. your desktop is listed as 745/745C under WIN7 at http://support.dell.com/ I managed to save my drivers in a flashdrive, Audio, Video and Broadcom 57xx Gigabyte Controller. The last one, I had to use a remote computer to get for it is my ethernet driver. I have had mine for 3 months only but i have learned a lot. I have two free items that have AntiVirus but can use only one Comodo Internet Security Premim supplies a 2 way firewall ans Anti-virus. I also have from www.lavasoft.com the free one and it tackles, antivirus (which I uncheck in 2 places), rootkits and spyware.
I also use to others for spyware/malware: Super Antispyware and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. Since I am on a fixed income. I could download Norton from comcast.net since I have that also but I use these when downloaded and saved to the desktop, unplug from the internet to install: 1]http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm I have the Zoned Out from the funky toad (see http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-238606.html), http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and http://www.hosts-file.net/
I don't know how to install them in system32/drivers/etc. so they are cleaned up and Zoned Out is in My Documents w/o 127.0.0.1 and everything after #'s lot more work but I have a total of 211,651 items in the restricted zone and I am not done installing hpHOSTS, my system crashed and I am trying to remember where to pick-up at. Darrell

Collapse -
Darrell.. A note to you and other's offering help..

In reply to: At the top is Welcome to A, V and security forum link

Hi Darrell..

I don't know if you noticed, but "kimmyheads" issued was been resolved. She also stated she installed Norton 360.

You noted you weren't feeling well. I hope you're feeling better soon. That considered, I thought I might save you further typing time.

All the best..
Carol

Collapse -
I didn't realize it, in 3 weeks I lost 15 lbs in a hospital,

In reply to: Darrell.. A note to you and other's offering help..

since beeing back home and walking some plus eating foods I normailly eat, sugar free ice cream, hot pockets, avoiding ones with sauce, Glycerna because I kept telling them I was a borderline diabetic, put me on Lactose Free Wen they got around to giving me caffiene w/sweet'n'low. Had a Epileptic seizure in there due to the lack of sleep and food I could not eat due to 1/2 my bottom teeth are broken and a full upper has not been lined in 7 years. I suspect some things I was given were not healthy for more plus the fack I ate very little s the norm for me, being hyper, a lot is wasted, it goes right thru me. Found that I was -124.48 in the red and at this time, I have a grand total of $1.52 until April 3rd, I know I am not overdrawn now. I have too much in food stamps. I was denied Macoroni and Cheeses and ate two servings for 2 in 2 different. Once I got a cheeseburger and wolfed it down but denied healthy shakes w/o sugar due to that idiot MD saying I was lactose intolerant.
They tried to push a walker on me and I refused, I said I needed a knee brace and a cane. I hve purchased my own knee brace for 19.99 abd I will get a cane on April 4th.
Even an eye doctor wanted to perform the same tests that he did 6 mos. ago and charge me $50 for a eyeglass prescription. Iwalked out on him and sought another and $40 buys it all and I'm entitiled to a free pair from The Division of the Blind. The funniest thing was rthat my eyesight is the same as when I was 15 yrs. old - 20-35!! That was the assessment of that over priced MD. I'm 66 now, took me 51 yrs to resolved a elderly problem. I was told that at 15 years old. The End. Darrell, thanks for the concern Sandy, but as you can see my mental cabilities are returning but will have to address the dry skin on my back and private parts with Selson Blue [include my scalp, that has been that way since as long as I can remember. Eating Hot Dogs with Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread

Collapse -
Wow. That's some story!

In reply to: I didn't realize it, in 3 weeks I lost 15 lbs in a hospital,

Darrell..

You really have been through a lot. I hope it all gets straighten out soon. As you've learned, you have to be your own advocate, when it comes to dealing with the medical community.

Darrell, I don't know if you noticed, but in your absence, there have been additional posts in this thread, where members have been trying to help "kimmyhead_oicu812" with her "already resolved problem". They had to removed.

I'm going to ask the "powers that be" to lock this thread, to prevent other's from posting.

Please do take care of yourself. And get some rest!

Sandy AKA Carol~ Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.