General discussion

help removing a partially downloaded file

I am currently running an Dell inspiron 6000 with windows xp home. I recently was downloading a demo program for a firend but had problems during the download and had to cancel it. Later i redownloaded the program and transferred it to a cd for my friend. I went back to my desktop and noticed that when it had originally downloaded it left behind a file on my desktop called ''ClickForums343_1214.exe''.

Whenever I try to delete this program by either moving to the recycle been or selecting delete from a right click menu an alert pops up that says ''Cannot delete Clickforums343_1214.exe: it is being used by another person or program, close any programs that might be using this program and try again.''

I have tried everything i know to delete this file, however nothing works. I have tried restarting my computer more than once, and no toher programs were active. I would greatly appreciate any help.

-Justin

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: help removing a partially downloaded file
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: help removing a partially downloaded file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you tried explore C:\program files
- Collapse -
Boot it out...

Just download the free program MoveOnBoot, use the program to schedule the file for deletion, then reboot your computer...the file will be booted from your system before it has a change to be used.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Bye Bye...

Well now its gone Happy

MoveOnBoot worked great, its now nowhere to be found.

Thanks John!

-Justin

- Collapse -
Junk

This software doesn't work. I have 3 partial downloaded files.
This software didn't delete it

- Collapse -
Tip: don't post in old threads.

Advice in even a few year old thread will be stale or completely out of date.

Make a new post to get current advice.
Be sure to tell about OS, what app you are downloading with and where others can download the file to see if there is a server issue.

Closing this 9+ YO thread.

CNET Forums