HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help regarding music transfers to Ipod Nano

by LouLou73 / September 12, 2007 8:06 PM PDT

With my last MP3 player I have been able to copy and paste music from my My Music folder to the player. I do not use Windows media player sync system.

I am thinking of buying the new Ipod Nano but I am concerned that I will only be able to upload music via Itunes and auto sync.

1. Can music be transfered by copy, paste or will it automtaically search for Itunes and autosync?
2. I've downloaded Itunes and prefer Windows Media Player. If I remove Itunes can I still upload music to the Ipod Nano?
3. If I buy a 4GB and my music on my computer is currently over 8 GB how can I choose which albums I want to sync to the Ipod or will it automatically try and sync all the albums until its full
4. If I plug the nano into another computer that has itunes will it automatically sync their music to my ipod or will I be given a choice if I want to sync or not?

My MP3 is for gym use so only looking for 4GB. I am also considering the Sansa E260 and the Creative Zen Plus.

I am only going to use the player for music (not radio, video or photos). Just need a easy navigation system, good audio and battery life is important!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help regarding music transfers to Ipod Nano
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help regarding music transfers to Ipod Nano
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the nano, you're better off with iTunes...
by kcoppock / September 13, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

I can't say for certain that it's NOT possible to do with WMP, there might be a way of doing it by turning the Nano to Mass Storage mode, and syncing music into the music folder on it, but I've never tried.

If you get an iPod of any kind though, the simplest way is definitely through iTunes. You don't just copy and paste music to it like you do for other players, you just select inside of iTunes which music you want to have on the iPod, then you plug it in, and it will automatically sync as much as will fit on the device (unless you've disabled auto sync). You can also opt to manually manage music, but you still use iTunes, but it's more of a drag and drop approach, rather than auto syncing.

I've also heard that several people use WinAmp to sync their iPods instead of iTunes, but I've never used it myself.

As much as I love my Nano, if you're more inclined to use WMP, especially if your library's already been set up in WMP, you'd probably be better off with a different type of MP3 player.

Collapse -
Good to know
by LouLou73 / September 13, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

Thanks.

Good to know I can turn off the auto synch and do things manually. I was afraid that every time I plugged it in it would start to auto synch all the songs not uploaded yet and that it would reformat the ipod. If I can do it manually this will solve this problem.

I presume I should avoid plugging the Nano into another computer with Itunes. One thing I'm still unsure of, as you as plug in the ipod will it start synching (if I haven't turned off auto synch) or will you be asked do you want to synchronize your library to the ipod?

I haven't set up my WMP library and tend to just open files and play them there. So it will give me a chance to set up my music properly via the Itunes I supose.

Collapse -
iTunes
by ktreb / September 13, 2007 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know

Before buying any iPod you should download the latest version of iTunes first. The newest iPods (3rd gen Nano and iPod Classic, iPod Touch) only work with iTunes 7.4 and beyond. It's a free download from Apple's website. See if it works on your computer and if you like it.

When you plug an iPod into a computer out of the box, I believe it will automatically start syncing. But you can stop the process by clicking on the "x" in the top "progress" screeen. Then you can change to manually manage music.

Another option for managing music is to use playlists and to only sync with certain playlists.

Collapse -
one other thing
by ktreb / September 13, 2007 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know

If you connect to another computer with iTunes on it, it will ask you if you want to sync it and give the warning about replacing the contents. Click "no" and it won't sync.

Collapse -
Thank you
by LouLou73 / September 13, 2007 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: one other thing

Thanks that has made me a lot less anxious and I suppose I'll become an Ipod user like most others.

I have downloaded Itunes and it works fine.

Thanks for the advice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.