Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP!!!! Reformat gone wrong!!! NTLDR missing

by mgb5011 / August 4, 2006 5:08 AM PDT

I have a custom built computer that has been running flawlessly for over a year. Recently it was slowing down and crashing every once in a while, so I decided to reformat. I set BIOS to "boot from CD" first, then restarted and placed the Windows XP Pro SP2 installation cd in. It took me through a blue-screen menu, I pressed enter to setup windows. From there, I deleted everything on the hard drive, and created a 15 gb NTFS partition on my 120 gb SATA hard drive. This finished in about 5 minutes, and next there was another bar that said something about preparing files maybe, I don't remember. I walked out of the room and when I came back in, my computer was running but the monitors were in sleep mode (turned on but no signal). I restarted the computer, and it came up "OC Fail, change BIOS OC Fail Settings", or something of that sort. I have had my settings on "turbo" for months now with no problem, but maybe the XP install did something? So, I turned my tweak settings from "turbo" to "cruise" (low) and restarted. That message disappeared, and my startup now showed "boot from cd... press any key to continue" and the next line is "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" At that point my computer is frozen, the control alt delete doesn't reset anything and the computer is hung up. I searched NTLDR on google and found some things, but they all require you to create a boot floppy or replace files. I do not have a floppy drive in my computer, only a CD drive, and I can't get past the error message to do anything.. I can only go into BIOS or wait for the error to come up... PLEASE HELP!!!

Intel 640 3.2ghz processor
1 gig Kingston Hyper-X RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
Dual 17" Viewsonic LCD monitors
BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC 256mb PCI-Express video card
Windows XP SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!!! Reformat gone wrong!!! NTLDR missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!!! Reformat gone wrong!!! NTLDR missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can get that message from having a non-system disk.....
by Trance_Zac / August 4, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

in a drive.
Do you have a floppy or something in a drive?
Since you're trying to install, go into set-up & choose "Set-up Defauls" or "Restore Defaults" then change just the boot order, Save to CMOS & exit.

Format or overwrite the HD & retry the Windows install. Make sure to delete any partitions before the format - You can re-create them later.

Collapse -
non system disk?
by mgb5011 / August 4, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

I do not have a floppy drive, at the moment I only have one hard drive and one CD drive connected. The boot priority goes from CD first to hard drive second. The Windows XP Pro SP2 cd is in the CD drive. It won't boot from the CD for some reason. I repetedly hit enter when it sais "press any key to boot from CD" but it still comes up on the next line with the NTLDR error...

Collapse -
That's just one cause...........
by Trance_Zac / August 4, 2006 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: non system disk?

of that error that isn't listed in the Microsoft Database.
I've run acsoss it & was just shooting a suggestion to ya!

Collapse -
i did a quick search
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

If you are attempting to install Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are receiving this error message as the computer is booting verify that your computer BIOS has the proper boot settings. For example, if you are attempting to run the install from the CD-ROM make sure the CD-ROM is the first boot device, and not the hard disk drive. Second, when the computer is booting you should receive the below prompt.

Press any key to boot from the CD

When you see this message press any key such as the Enter key immediately, otherwise it will try booting from the hard drive and likely get the NTLDR error again.

Note: If you are not receiving the above message and your BIOS boot options are set properly it's also possible that your CD-ROM drive may not be booting from the CD-ROM properly

Collapse -
not sure...
by mgb5011 / August 4, 2006 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: i did a quick search

I have bios set to boot from CD, and my Windows XP Pro SP2 full version (purchased OEM from NewEgg.com) is in the CD drive. I hit enter repetedly when ''Press any key to boot from CD'' came up, but it still gave me the NTLDR error again...

Collapse -
Everything you want to know about NTLDR
by Stan Chambers / August 4, 2006 6:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
ntldr missing
by Merl Priester / August 4, 2006 2:11 PM PDT

Take the hard drive cable off and see if you can boot from the WINXP CD. If so try plugging the drive back in and repeat, if this works don't just reformat, delete the partition and repartition a new one.

Watch while Windows installs, and see if there are crashes or copy failures. If so there are usually 3 possible causes,
1: memory-if you have 2 pull one at a time until the crash goes away (always repartition and start from scratch)
If the memory is not the problem
2: try a different harddrive
3: If the harddrive is not problem, usually next is the mainboard.
4: If you cannot boot on teh Win CD while only the CD is installed, the neither the CD is bad (unlikely) or your CDRom is bad (happens alot)

Sometimes things start running slow because of hardware failure.
You noted you had it set to FAST settings, if this means overclocked, NEVER install XP while overclocked.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by mgb5011 / August 6, 2006 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: ntldr missing

I removed the hard drive, and it did boot from the cd! NO ERROR! I am removing my hard drive and reformatting it using another computer through windows disk management. Will update if install works the second time. I didn't know not to install windows while overclocked. When i first installed it, the settings were normal, but after it was set up I OC'ed the CPU and forgot I even did it, so when I got an OC failure... I had no idea why.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?