Peripherals forum

General discussion

Help recovering data from Maxtor external hard drive

by MachelleDykstra / December 31, 2010 4:17 AM PST

I had to reimage my computer due to a virus. Prior to doing so, I transferred (or believed I had transferred) all of my files to our Maxtor external hard drive. I cannot locate my files on the hard drive, however, nor did they transfer back to my laptop completely. The only files that transferred back were my backups from June. Is there any other way of locating the last 6 months of data and pictures that I have now lost?

My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L355-S7812 and I run Windows Vista.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help recovering data from Maxtor external hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help recovering data from Maxtor external hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do other machines read those files?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 9:34 AM PST

You didn't reveal what you used to backup. Here I use the simple copy to the external with Explorer. Not hard and never encrypted or in some proprietary format or worse "NTBACKUP".
Bob

Collapse -
Maxtor is the backup
by MachelleDykstra / December 31, 2010 10:22 PM PST

I don't have another backup- the Maxtor is an external hard drive to which I manually transferred my documents before I reimaged my laptop. Normally, the maxtor will automatically offer to transfer documents (One-touch, I believe), but when connected to my laptop it did not offer me that option, so I copied and pasted to the Maxtor.

Collapse -
This leaves us with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Maxtor is the backup

The same question and more.

1. Do other machines read those files? (or show them.)

2. It's interesting that you opted for automatic or software that you are unsure of how it works or how to recover when it fails. Your copy and paste is one method I use all the time with great success. However a new user might think that such files would automatically copy themselves back. ALL TYPES OF USERS SHOW UP HERE so I can't guess what you are seeing in Explorer on this drive or if you expected the Maxtor to do something automatically.

Try looking at the drive with Explorer for your files.
Try another machine too.

3. That one click option was usually a feature of an application we installed from Maxtor. Since you reinstalled the OS, you would need to reinstall the Maxtor one click app.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!