Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP --- Recording data on CDRW creates

by Gerrie / December 15, 2004 11:46 AM PST

Using Veritas RecordNow, have XP system. Whenever I copy data files (Word or Excel) over to my CD, my files become read only. Nothing in the Veritas allows for cancelling this property. Being that it was on a CDRW I even tried to edit my files. No luck. My original files are not read only (verified this).
Really puzzling to me, would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP --- Recording data on CDRW creates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP --- Recording data on CDRW creates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can be correct behaviour.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 11:50 AM PST

If you look up the CDR FAQ on, you may learn about this. While Record Now may have some feature to treat CDRW media as a disk drive, I consider that it being 99.99% reliable to be too unreliable.

Collapse -
Try changing attributes.
by Papa Echo / December 15, 2004 3:29 PM PST

You mentioned unsuccessfully trying to edit the files, "since you are using CDRW". I suppose you are trying to use the CDRW as a floppy. Of course, since the files are rendered 'Read Only' while on the CDRW, they can't be edited. Are you able to go to File>Properties and change the file attributes (uncheck "read only") ? Does Veritas come with bundled programs, e.g. UDF and other programs for packet writing ?

Collapse -
Windows fault
by luxx / December 15, 2004 5:17 PM PST

Yes, that is not the software you are using, is windows. It is kind of stupid but windows changes the file attributes when you copy it to a CD (even CDRW).

The only solution is to use packet writing software(where you just copy files to the disc like a big floppy), like DirectCD.

Or You will have to change the file attributes.

Collapse -
For luxx, Linux does the same?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: Windows fault

Since Linux makes the CDR with the read-only as well, I think you need to review the CDR FAQ.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mac OS does it too ?
by Papa Echo / December 15, 2004 9:03 PM PST
Collapse -
by luxx / December 15, 2004 9:33 PM PST

It is not a CDR thing. Mac OS does it right.

Collapse -
Seems logical-
by Papa Echo / December 15, 2004 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: Windows fault

if you burn a file to a CD, including CD RW, the intention is for storage of the file "as is". If you later want to edit it, you have to make a copy of it to your HD to change its attributes. Microsoft wisely coded Windows to render files 'read only' automatically when they are written to CDs.

Collapse -
not to me..
by luxx / December 15, 2004 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Seems logical-

Well I agree if it's a CD R, but in that case, why would you set it read only if you cannot write to it?

If it is a CD RW I would like to be able to edit it.

From the CDR faq:
"The files aren't written to the disc as "read only". There isn't any such permission flag in the filesystem. They're simply presented that way by Microsoft operating systems. Mac OS deals with this in a nicer way, showing unlocked files on write-protected media, rather than the dopey Microsoft approach of showing write-protected files on unlocked media."

Collapse -
I agree
by glb613 / December 15, 2004 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Seems logical-

It seems logical to me that you would want to save everything "as is" and not have the option of it being altered. Otherwise, nothing would be safe. Anyone could make changes if they got the CD and the original would be lost. I'm not sure how anyone can thing that an operating system or CD burning program should be able to distinguish between using a CD-R and CD-RW when making a copy. And besides, editing is still possible. All you have to do is put the data back on your hard drive and edit to your heart's content.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?