Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Help - recommend basic but current guide to web design?

by porthome / January 18, 2007 11:34 PM PST

I cut my teeth building web pages in raw html many years ago, and my education stopped there. I still manage a couple of those sites that are getting pretty tired. It's time to upgrade my knowledge and learn how to use some more current approaches. I'm not looking for cutting-edge stuff, just good basic web page techniques.
Can someone recommend a good book or guide?
Thanks in advance

Perry B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - recommend basic but current guide to web design?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - recommend basic but current guide to web design?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's hard to...
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 2:55 AM PST

It's hard to know everything about everything. So instead of trying to learn "random" new techniques, ask yourself: What do I want to be able to do? Do I want a blog? Do I want to be able to code from scratch? Do I want to offer a service? Once you know that, you can focus and target on a certain subject, and find it much easier to learn because you have a goal in mind, and you can see how much progress you are making.

Any goals in mind?

~Sovereign

Collapse -
It's hard to know ...
by porthome / January 30, 2007 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: It's hard to...

I have a few basic information websites - local community centre, Lions Club, etc. My old text-in-frames style is looking pretty tired, so I just want to re-work the sites with some jazzier-looking style. Maybe have rollover hotspots and graphic menus instead of underlined links.

Perry B

Collapse -
OK, here is what I would do
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: It's hard to know ...

To get a website that looks good, largely depends on graphics... so you will need a good program with which you can create graphics... such as the one from Adobe.

HTML is HTML, so just to change the look will just require some recoding. To me, it's easier to use an editor where I can see what I do. There are many mixed feelings about frontpage, but all my websites are designed with that program. The good thing with frontpage is that it has many "cool" features built in, and it does not limit your capabilities, since you can still add any HTML you want. There are several free editors too if you like, and I'm sure Google could find you a couple.

So the basic looks of a page is based on graphics, and any effects probably dynamic HTML or some scripts. To find some interesting tips and tricks, you could take a look at hotscripts.com ... they have some cool menu effects.

Personally, I always use text links... you could put them on a cool button or a cool colored roll-over. Text links are much easier to edit, therefore I prefer them.

What I used to do is browse for many hours on different websites that looked kinda like I wanted my website to look. I played with their menu's, their html code, etc... and then I took some code here and there (as long as it's not copyrighted) and compiled my website from the best of the best.

One last thing, I used to love frames, since I didn't have to change the menu files etc, but now I'm 100% against frames. They bug me. So, you should research include files. You have many more options with them.

Let us know how you're doing!

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Excellent - Thank you very much !!
by porthome / January 30, 2007 9:16 PM PST

Your suggestions look great - thanks again!

Perry B

Collapse -
if i were u...
by marcelomdsc / March 19, 2007 7:27 AM PDT

If I were you I would definately would learn css, which is not very complicated, although sometimes is kind of hard for people who is used to use tables, but i guarantee you wont regret it.

hope it helps, Marcelo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?