Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Help re building a web site please ...

by Mosonnow / February 9, 2004 10:28 PM PST

My son wants to build a site, as a computing exercise rather than for any commercial purpose.

I have webspace allocated (via my ISP NTL) and can get my page "up" (showing nothing much of course).

A Freeserve site builder is used by his school, but I guess they must have dedicated computers, because I am not happy at all with Freeserve's conditions.

My questions are:

How best to allow my son to use my computer safely to do this? Secondly, is there an obvious route to go?

So far, my best research says that:

1) Freebies have trojans et al (and a paid host is not warranted for this purpose of course). Dreamweaver seems to be quite popular though.

2) Templates seem to be available - but how can one know whether these are safe?

3) HTML is not a difficult language, as I see it, but clearly it is fraught with pitfalls if programming is not perfect, but seemingly there are kits that help out with the standard programming lines.

4) Protection via passwords back to my machine, given that I am allowing public access to the site, don't seem to exist in any secure form.

I don't know where to go from here. I don't want to say "No", if I don't have to. Can a site be built NOT on-line (i.e. not accessible back to my computer) for instance?

I appreciate any advice or pointers.

Thanks and regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help re building a web site please ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help re building a web site please ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Help re building a web site please ...
by radean / February 10, 2004 1:39 AM PST

Just regarding your last question.
A website can, and should be built offline. Then after checking, and tweaking, you can upload all to your online webspace.
A handy free tool for testing before you upload pages is: CSE HTML Validator Lite

Collapse -
Re:Re:Help re building a web site please ...
by Mosonnow / February 10, 2004 2:28 AM PST

Dear Ray

Your reply makes me think that I could be a very happy bunny. Do you mean that I (we) can build it off-line, check it with the tool you recommended, but - and this is the question - have a "perfect" web-site that I (we) don't ever need to upload to my actual site?

Granted I don't know how to build it yet, but if I can do it offline, it is worth my finding out more.

Thank you
Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Help re building a web site please ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 10, 2004 3:09 AM PST

While you can develop an offline "website" it will not be visible except on your computer or your local LAN.

You can get a free and pretty comprehensive HTML editor here http://evrsoft.com/download.shtml (1st Page 2000) You can also forego any editor and simply use Notepad or vi or vim or any other text editor.

This site can guide you through HTML developement. Just follow the menu down the left side of the page and you get examples and samples. http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ The PRIMERS section gets you the basics and below that the tutorials delve a little deeper.

Any specific questions that develop can generally be answered here

You might also want to look over this site http://www.angelfire.com/ak/olly/help.html where she has listed several free site hosts and other links you may be interested in.

Collapse -
Re:Help re building a web site please ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2004 3:28 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Many thanks for all replies. Off I go ... Regards, Mo.
by Mosonnow / February 10, 2004 7:37 PM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.