Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

help! random pop ups driving me nuts!

hey all,

i keep getting pop-ups randomly appear whenever the computer is idle for 20 minutes or longer... i use google chrome as my browser and the pop-ups are always opened through explorer which i never use... is this a virus? i tried running a anti-spyware program to get rid of them to no avail... as well... when i try using google to search in firefox it reroutes either to whatever random site it feels like at the time or to another search engine displaying the results for whatever i was searching for through google... what is this?

i'm assuming this is something i picked up from a website i visited... this started a few days ago when trying to watch a video clip and the site said i needed the latest version of flash player and gave me a link right there to download it from... now that i'm thinking of it i'm positive that's gotta be where this all started...

anyways.. anyone know how i can fix this and get things back to normal? any help at all would be appreciated thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help! random pop ups driving me nuts!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help! random pop ups driving me nuts!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried scanning using...

In reply to: help! random pop ups driving me nuts!

Online scan?
SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan: http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html
MalAware: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/malaware/ Note: Using MalAware offers no removal but we just need to see first if it'll detect anything in your system. If it found any, you will need to use A-squared Free to quarantine the detected items.
Microsoft Live OneCare online scanner: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Or have you tried scanning using Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Collapse -
first problem solved... but i got another one for ya

In reply to: Have you tried scanning using...

hey Donna!

Thanks so much for your suggestions! So i tried the SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan... that caught and cleared out a pile of stuff ... Also tried the Malwarebytes Antimalware which i didn't expect to work as i had tried installing and running that about 6 months ago at someones suggestion to clear up a DNSchanger virus and at the time it didn't work... it was being blocked i could download and install but not run the program... but this time it worked perfectly... aparently the DNS thingy was still on the computer .. not anymore Happy
as far as i can tell all the problems from the post have been cleared up so thank you thank you thank you!

i did want to ask about an ongoing problem i had posted about sometime ago that i've been hoping to find a solution for without drastic measures being necessary

as i was rebooting following the scans just before the xp logo comes up i get a blue screen telling me that disk check was unsuccessful as the NTFS system was not found... i'm assuming this is related to why i cant' run the dskchk utility on my computer... i ask because this is a problem that prevents me from being able to run any defragger on my computer... i need to run the chkdsk utility first and i can't... any chance you might know what the problem is or how i can fix this without having to wipe the drive?

Collapse -
Glad the tools has cleaned the system :) As to the other 1..

In reply to: first problem solved... but i got another one for ya

Collapse -
Regarding your duplicate post at Computer Help..

In reply to: help! random pop ups driving me nuts!

sphinctourist..

I noticed you also posted in the Computer Help forum. We try to discourage duplicating posts, as it also duplicates work. I'm going to lock the thread there, with the hopes we can concentrate on resolving your issue here.

Thanks for your co-operation and understanding..
Carol

Collapse -
RE: duplicate posts

In reply to: Regarding your duplicate post at Computer Help..

hey there
no worries sorry about that... when i was trying to post it this morning i kept getting an error msg of sorts that led me to believe that it wasn't getting posted , so that's how i ended up posting in two different sections... again sorry about that, i'm not looking to create extra work here for anyone Happy

Collapse -
(NT) NO problem.. whatsoever!

In reply to: RE: duplicate posts

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.