PC Applications forum

General discussion

HELP. Quicken 2004 B/U error message

by mdp / April 1, 2005 11:46 PM PST

I could sure use some help.
I keep getting error messages and crashing whenever I try to back up my Quicken 2004 file on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop (running XP.)

First, a box that says:
"An error has occurred during the last task. Please restart quicken"

I click okay (it's not ok but what else...) and a new box pops up:
"An error occurred during the last task. Quicken must close now. Please try restarting Quicken."

Again, I click okay and the new box says:
'The instruction at "0x03133e19" referenced memory at "0x01ab178". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

I click OK again and the program closes. I can reopen it and work in it again but can't ever back-up - Obviously not acceptable.

My work-around has been to bring the file up on a networked Dell desktop, also running XP, and back it up there. But this is getting to be a drag and doesn't work on the road.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but it made no difference.
I have a new copy of Quicken 2005 that I considered installing to hopefully get rid of the problem, but I've seen so much bad press on Q 2005 that I wonder if I wouldn't just buy more problems.

Can anyone help?

thanks

MDP - Frustrated in Boston

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP. Quicken 2004 B/U error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP. Quicken 2004 B/U error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just FYI..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 1:30 AM PST

There is a known issue that Quicken's backup will not backup to CDR or CDRW drives. No fix has ever been offered and the workaround is to send it to the hard disk then put it on CDR/W.

I'm surprised Quicken didn't tell you this when you called it in.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but ...
by mdp / April 2, 2005 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: Just FYI..

I'm backing up to diskettes like I always have.

Collapse -
And even that has a bug in it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but ...

I'm still surprised Quicken isn't telling you to use the hard disk method.

BTW, I'm just a few minutes out of Boston.

Bob

Collapse -
Anyone solve Quicken 2004 Back up issues???
by mdp / April 2, 2005 5:51 AM PST

Intuit support is worthless. It just left me angry and wasted nearly 2 hrs of my time.

Anyone have any suggestions? I already reinstalled the program and thanks to Intuit support installed the newest R 5 which I did not want.

Anyone know if upgrading to 2005 is likely to help or give me new problems?

thanks.

Collapse -
No. NEVER SOLVED IT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 5:56 AM PST

Let me be blunt about this issue. After years of this issue, I can only share that backup to the hard disk seems to work without issue. Then I go fish out the file and off to the CDR/ZIP/Floppy from Explorer.

I have yet to hear that it was resolved in 2005.

Bob

Collapse -
How do I get around the error message to bu to hard drive?
by mdp / April 2, 2005 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: No. NEVER SOLVED IT.

I don't mean to be thick, but I get the error message sequence detailed in my first post as soon as I click on "backup".

It doesn't even let me get to the screen where I would indicate where.

thanks

Collapse -
Start over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 7:30 AM PST
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken/msg/bbf35276a023a70e

Sadly, if Quicken doesn't offer a "do this" cure for that one, you get to start over.

Remember that with all the spyware and more out there, too often I'm finding some of this to be either spyware damage or plain old viruses. It's also known that control fiends run into this as they may try to move programs to other partitions, change drive letters and the list just keeps going on.

The only detail I offer is that backup to CDRW or floppy is less than reliable. And some recent updates to antivirus or the OS has not helped Quicken in this area.

bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?