HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Help!!! Question

by mattpul24 / November 22, 2005 6:04 AM PST

I recently had Norton 2005 on my notebook. I've got a Dell Inspiron 2200 (about 4 months old). I felt that it was making things run pretty slow and from what I had heard, that tends to be true with Norton. So, I uninstalled it and my notebook has been running faster. I have windows XP and that comes with the firewall. I use ad aware and Mozilla to search the internet. I do use a wireless connection. I also use Google's non pop-up filter. I don?t download anything-just search the web and check email, etc. Pretty basic. With all of this I am pretty happy. However, I am still worried about viruses, etc. Any suggestions on what I need? Should I get anti-virus software or a whole utilities suite? My only concern is that it DOES NOT slow my computer down.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!!! Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!!! Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virus program is the most important tool you should own
by Dick Humfrey / November 22, 2005 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Help!!! Question

If you do not have a virus program it could do more than just slow your computer down if you get infected. It is a more important piece of software than popup and adware blockers etc.

In a support job I have I have today been bombarded with over 40 virus hits that have been detected and fixed. If I was not virus protected I would be having BIG problems by now.

Collapse -
AVG
by mrkhlp / November 22, 2005 10:24 AM PST

Go to www.grisoft.com and download the free version of AVG anti virus software. The updates are free for life and it can be set to auto update so you won't have to remember. Anti virus software is useless if you don't keep it updated. And for nothing this software WORKS. Also Ad-Ware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy are good tools to have, Also free, updates are also free. If you run all three and keep them updated you'll have little trouble. You can also get a free trojanhunter called A-Squared and updates are free it works well. Ditch the Norton stuff.

Mark

Collapse -
Just a thought
by PKsteven / November 22, 2005 4:07 PM PST

Hi, you may want to look into a different firewall as well, like ZoneAlarm etc...Windows firewall is ok for initially getting connected but not recommended as a primary. If you do, please remember to shut down windows firewall as it can cause problems.

Good luck to you, Paul

Collapse -
As for all people
by PudgyOne / November 22, 2005 5:41 PM PST

As for all people you should have good virus protection. Norton slows down your computer(if you have an older one) whereas AVG FREE or AVAST do not.

Also you need to have measures to stop spyware from getting into your computer. you can get C W Shredder to help remove some and you can also use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. Another good spyware remover is AD AWARE and one that stops spyware from getting into your computer is SPYWARE BLASTER. Then when all else fails you can get HIJACKTHIS.

If you use all these tools it will not elminate spyware from getting into your computer, but it will help. Some spyware gets into your computer using the Macromedia Flash player. If you feel that you still might have spyware in your computer, then you can go to PANDA ACTIVESCAN and do an online scan. You can also go to TREND MICRO to do another online scan.

Hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.