Laptops forum

General discussion

HELP Processor CPU Speed decreased?

Hello everyone, i own an inspiron 9300 with a 2.0 GHZ Centrino, 1gb ram 100gb hd. I recently noticed a decrease in my CPU speed, which i know is 2.0 GHZ, when i tried the CNET vista readiness advisor, it said i had only 733 mhz!! i thought it was a software mistake, but then i right clicked on My PC and found out that yes, it says, pentium M processor 2.0 Ghz, then right below it says 798 Mhz 1gb Ram. i found it weird but then i thought maybe i hadnt seen it before.. then i formatted my lap new partitions and stuff and then i saw processor speed was up again at 2.0 Ghz.both besides the cpu name and the Ram..
then a few hours ago i noticed my system to be a tad slower than usual and by curiosity i right clicked on my pc and the mhz are back to 798!!! what;s with that? i know my processor has Speedstep, but the laptop is plugged to the AC so i see no reason to do that. Does anyone know what's going on? is it a software i recently installed ?(messenger, autocad, photoshop and similars basically)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP Processor CPU Speed decreased?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP Processor CPU Speed decreased?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds normal for a Pentium M CPU

In reply to: HELP Processor CPU Speed decreased?

Google: Intel SpeedStep

Essentially, it extends your battery life between charges.

Collapse -
weird

In reply to: HELP Processor CPU Speed decreased?

weird, because just to prove i opened at the same time photoshop, autocad and illustrator and was repeatedly openin My PC properties, and CPU speed never went up over 798 mhz, it even went down to 450 for a while and then 500 and back to 798.
today it booted with 2.0ghz again... what determines speed?? is there any way i can say 'i need the power right now" despite what the 'intelligent' processor thinks?

Collapse -
Dell support article

In reply to: weird

Short answer: Change the "Power Schemes" setting in the Power Options control panel to "Always On" (or "Home/Office Desk" if using A/C power)

All the details:
How does my Dell portable computer system utilize an Intel SpeedStep

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.