HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

Question

Help Please. Vista 64 bit Will Not Load.

by genbeau / June 3, 2011 3:18 PM PDT

I have a HP computer that runs Vista 64 bit Service Pack 1 and has appeared to crash. It is a desktop Model S3500f. It had been kept up to date.
I tried to load the computer today and it gets stuck in the load screen (little progress bar) and then goes black or sometimes blue and stays there. I tried the diagnostics and it said the hard drive did not pass. It was the BIOHD 8 error. I cannot get it to go into any mode at all. It showed the start windows normally screen once and now won't do it. I tried F8 and it will not open a screen to choose safe mode. I cannot get into it at all, just the F10, F9, and ESC. I tried F11 and all it says is Windows is Loading Files and gets stuck again.
This computer is out of warranty. Any tips, tricks or help will be appreciated. I am not sure what to do.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Please. Vista 64 bit Will Not Load.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Please. Vista 64 bit Will Not Load.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
As the diagnistics say ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 4:42 PM PDT

something is wrong with the hard drive, I'd try another one. Use your system recovery media to put Vista on it.

Kees

Collapse -
No Disc
by genbeau / June 4, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

I have looked everywhere but I am sure that it did not come with a disc. We have everything else together that came with it but no disc.
So, I need a new hard drive then? I have a Vista disc for my laptop but I am not sure if I can use that. Will it work? Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: disc disc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: No Disc

Most likely the disc for your laptop will not work. Better order the recovery media with HP Customer Service if you didn't make them yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by genbeau / June 6, 2011 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disc disc

Oh ok. I am not sure how to get the media for the HP. I guess I have to order it (buy it)? Maybe I can download it from them. I never had it for that computer and was not sure what to do. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Here is the link for obtaining ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 8, 2011 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Double Thanks
by genbeau / June 8, 2011 1:33 PM PDT

Thanks for that link. That is great. I will give that a try and then move on from there if needed. Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Vista SP 2
by harryhamlin / June 5, 2011 9:41 PM PDT

When I clicked on windows update it showed me to vista sp2 and so I downloaded it when I tried to install it says couldn't complete installing sp2.

Collapse -
Better make this a new thread ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista SP 2

as it's unrelated to the issue of this thread.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Vista 64 bit will not load
by yadavarun555 / June 6, 2011 4:11 PM PDT

Hi, just kick out the Vista and install windows 7 in your PC. It's the upgraded version of Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.