Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Help please - transferring video from sony handycam

Hello, I am really hoping that someone can help me because I have spent hours upon hours trying to get this camcorder to connect to my computer. I have a Sony Handycam Digital8 DCR-TRV260 and have had this thing for about 4 years and have NEVER been able to get video to my computer. I've tried USB streaming and of course the quality is terrible. So, I think I finally figured it out and went to Best Buy yesterday and bought a Dynex PCI host adapter model DX-FC103 and a 6 pin/4 pin firewire cable. I got it installed in my computer and was pretty excited that I'd FINALLY be able to burn my video to DVD, but when I hook it up - my computer says that Sony DV camcorder is connected, and on the camcorder it says DV in, but when I try to capture video with Windows Movie Maker or NeroVision Express, there is no picture or sound. When I push play or anything else on the computer, it does it on the camcorder, so I know that there is SOME communication, but no picture or sound. No idea why though! For the heck of it I tried USB and that worked, but not the firewire. I've read that it could be the drivers or something, but I'm not really familiar with that. So, if anyone knows what might be wrong, I'd really appreciate the help. I am using Windows XP pro. Thanks!

Teri

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please - transferring video from sony handycam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please - transferring video from sony handycam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which brand should I try?

In reply to: Well... you are close,

Thanks, I didn't know that was a crappy brand. I'll have to try something else. The only reason I got that one was because that's all they had at Best Buy - that I knew of. Any suggestions for a good one that would be compatible with my camcorder? Also, I am using a Dynex cable too..should I just return both? Thanks

Collapse -
As indicated in the other posts,

In reply to: Which brand should I try?

apparently anything BUT Dynex...

http://shop2.frys.com/search?cat=-47194&pType=pDisplay

I've had good experiences with SIIG, Belkin and QPS... though not specifically direct experience with their firewire cards - I do all my editing on Macintoshes and firewire is included as standard...

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: As indicated in the other posts,

I think I'll try Belkin then. I appreciate your help

Collapse -
Pinnacle Systems Studio

In reply to: Which brand should I try?

Found your question while looking for the upgrade for Vista. Pinnacle Systems makes a product called Studio. I have used Studio 7 with XP This is old version but new verion Studio Plus version 11 is current and will work with Windows Vista. I have transferred many movies from a Sony DV Handycam using Studio. Very smooth.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Pinnacle Systems Studio

Thank you for your input, I will definitely look into that! I've always heard really good things about the Pinnacle software.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.