Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

help please: reformat win 2000 with unknown C drive label

by Odyssey / November 22, 2004 7:42 AM PST

hi guys i bought a second hand comp... now i dont have a password to get into windows 2000 and whoever put it on the comp changed the label of the C: drive to something unknown?... is there a dos prompt that you can use to see what the C: drive label is?? thats all i need to find out what they labeled the c drive and i can reformat... please anyone can you help asap?? Sad

thanx guys
kelly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help please: reformat win 2000 with unknown C drive label
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help please: reformat win 2000 with unknown C drive label
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: help please: reformat win 2000 with unknown C drive labe
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 7:54 AM PST

Kelly,

If I were you, I would start from scratch. Start with a clean slate. Create a new partition entirely, then reformat. If you've got the Windows 2000 CD, place it in the CD-Rom drive, (make sure that the BIOS allows the CD to boot before the hard drive), then restart the computer. Choose the option to eliminate the current partition, then create a new one. The link below should help with that:

Install Instructions for Microsoft Windows 2000

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Odyssey / November 22, 2004 12:00 PM PST

thanx for the reply... i am so trying to start from scratch... but i dont have a disc with windows 2000 pro on it and i dont know what they ahve labeled the hard drive... its not C: and i dont have a pass word... i was about to attempt using kill disk then putting in a win95 boot disk? do you think this will work?
thanx again
kelly

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 22, 2004 7:01 PM PST

If you don't have the Windows 2000 pro operating system CD, you can't start from scratch. What did you get with this second hand computer?

Collapse -
Not a newbie adventure, but here's what I would do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 8:24 PM PST

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get the DOS boot disk from there. I run the w98se.exe to make a clean boot disk, then I also download DELPART.EXE and copy that to that boot disk.

I may have to delete something from the boot disk to make it fit, but DELPART should make quick work of this.

After that, I can install what OS I want.

In closing, if you don't have an OS CD, you will have to find a solution to that.

Bob

Collapse -
i have a new problem now
by Odyssey / November 23, 2004 6:57 AM PST

i used killdisk... worked like a charm... then i used a win95boot disk and installed 95, then used a win98 upgrade disck worked perfect... now my screen only shows up in 16 colours and everything is the size my granny needs to read...(big) any suggestions?... i am not advacned enough to open the comp and look for whatever a vid card/graphics card looks like... and i know the screen is a Ipex but i cant find a driver (screen is old comp is a pentium III 128 mg ram and 12.6 gig hard drive... thats all i know)

any suggestions...??
btw the comp came with nothing... rang the guy and he gave me attitude so no help from him Sad
thanx guys
muchly appreciated
kelly

Collapse -
Re: i have a new problem now
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2004 8:18 AM PST

Kelly,

To find the video card and the driver needed...RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properites', then click on the "Device Manager" tab. When that loads, click on the + sign next to "Display Adapters". A specific video device will appear. Highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button, then click on the "Driver" tab. Write down the manufacturer/provider, driver version, and driver date. You should be able to visit the card manufacturer's site and find the driver. If you have any troubles post the information back here and we should be able to help:

By the way, you'll probably need to install ALL other drivers to make it work correctly...audio, modem, ethernet, etc. The same method can be used to detect the providers for those drivers as well. If the computer is a brand name, visit the company's website and see if they have the available drivers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?