HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Help please - or if no help, a suggestion - re length of threads ...

by Mosonnow / February 24, 2004 9:03 AM PST

It seems with this software that 50 threads fit on one page. I cannot get to the next page - Pressing "next page" displays one post added to the end of the first page, which I have to open in order, then, to get to the second post on the next page etc for every single post after the first page.

So, two things:

1) Am I going wrong here?

2) If this really is the way that the software works, then it seems to me that once a thread grows, it branches off. Maybe branches can be re-carried onto a new thread - as does happen already? Or find some other way?

How do you folks cope with this? Is there a workaround?

Thanks and regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help please - or if no help, a suggestion - re length of threads ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help please - or if no help, a suggestion - re length of threads ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Help please - or if no help, a suggestion - re length of threads ...
by Rolway / February 24, 2004 9:30 AM PST

I have the same trouble Mo. After 50 messages I'm all over hell trying find any more. Its a mess.

When I see a discussion over 50 posts, I sit there and say, should I or should'nt I. I always give up and say the hell with it. Find someplace else where they don't talk so much.

George

Collapse -
Re:Re:Sorry MO.

I did'nt give you much help, did I. I've tried everything and the more I try, the more disgusted I get. If somebody has a secret out there let us know.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I'm not on my own. I also can't see which is the New one upwards of 50 posts (short of recording every time reference.) Regards Mo
by Mosonnow / February 24, 2004 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Sorry MO.

Collapse -

Hi, Mo.

The best way to ahndle it is to right-click the messages in the tree after hitting "next" and open them in a new window (or a new tab, if that's available with your browser), then close the new window or tab and use the full tree again for the next message. Otherwise you get lost after making a reply.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Thanks Dave, but I can't get a full tree ...

I can get a full tree for the first page, and can / do open posts in new window, but how do I get a full tree for the second page? I can only get Page 1 scrolled down by 1 post, and even if that last is an NT post, I still have to open it to get to the next 1 - not the next page, just the next message - and so on.

Let us say that I want to go straight to message number 114. How do I do that?

I appreciate your advice.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Thanks Dave, but I can't get a full tree ...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2004 12:56 PM PST

Hi, Mo.

Unfortunately there's no way to go direct to message 114.
What happens on a long thread is that you click on the "next" at the end of the first screen -- that gives you the next screen, approximately 51-100. Now you use the trick I mentioned. When you've worked your way through that screen (reading and replying in the second window/tab), then you hit the "next" at the bottom of that second screen and you get messages 101-150, etc.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by C1ay / February 24, 2004 11:35 AM PST

As of this post the "President Bush just gave a national address on TV about Gay marriage" thread is 68 posts long. If I open that thread, scroll all the way to the bottom and hit the Next link I get the rest of the posts of page two beyond the fifty on page one with posts from page one making up the balance of 50 posts per page. Please try this and let us know what the last visible post is that you see on page two.

Collapse -
It's a mess!

Hi Mo,

I read it like DaveK. Once I click Next on the bottom of the page, I get "page 2" of the replies. If I click on the first unread post, it goes BACK to page 1 with only the next post in the tree at the bottom of the page. So, once I click Next, I then open posts in a new window, so I can read them and the original window maintains that "page 2" and I can keep track of myself!

Cindi

Collapse -
That's the best way and good explanation. (nt)
by James Denison / February 25, 2004 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: It's a mess!

Collapse -
With IE and two windows
by Roger NC / February 25, 2004 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: It's a mess!

if you leftclick and hold on post in one window you can drag it and drop it in the second window to read.

Not sure about other browsers.

Collapse -
IMPORTANT - Can I direct you to my later thread that "I think I've got the measure of this" ...
by Mosonnow / February 25, 2004 1:13 AM PST

My humble apologies for posting this as a new thread - it was not my intention (but it was my fault) - but maybe we can carry this one on from there?

Just a thought and feel free to ignore this post if you wish.

Regards
Mo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.