Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

Help please! new potential PDA user!

by Wildcatzlair / May 21, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

Hi! i am a busy doc ( a fellow in a hectic medical program). I am looking for a resonable priced PDA which I can use with extra memory to mainly view pdf s and maybe word files, besides the uaul pda things. maybe enter data also once in a while for a propject in excel. And it would have been great if there was a camera to capture some basic photos. And being a student, my budget ~150-175 USD I thought zire 72 fitted my bill, but it seems to have disappeared online except at Ebay. Plus the fact that battery life is supposedly short and non-user replaceable.Can soembody please guide me re the pda selection. As my kind of money would probably only get me refurb pdas, any ideas for buying it from a reliable place ( I basically cant just buy another one next 1-2 year, so looking for something reliable) Would buying a axim X51 basic be a good idea (its 159 $ refurb at dell outlet), or maybe a refurb ipaq 1940-1945? Would be great if somebody could help
cheers
dochat

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Short?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

My IIIC has the usual "non-replaceable" battery and is now 5 years old. It only gives 4 hours of use tops but went past 8 when new. If I look on the web I see this battery for sale as well as how to replace.

I own a few other PDAs such as the T|X, Zire 72, m100, Treo 90, Toshiba e800, iPaq rx3115 and maybe a few others (I write apps.) So for me the life of the battery seems to be about 4+ years. To add the costs of a replaceable battery not to mention increase the size and wieght of a PDA seems to be counter indicated. My rx3115 and Toshiba do have a battery pack but the penalty is more wieght and bulk. I'd rather not have that feature.

As to the usual items, the PDA maker's web sites list what they do so I'll not duplicate web content.

Bob

Collapse -
Slim pickins...
by John.Wilkinson / May 21, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

The chances of you finding a PDA with a built-in digicam in that price range are slim to none unless someone's really offering a good deal on Ebay. (Then I'd be careful, as it may be damaged.)

The Zire 72 was recently 'retired,' so aside from Ebay you may not have much luck. Some stores may still have a few units laying around they're hoping to sell, so there's still a chance of getting a new one, though. Unfortunately the Zire 72, like all the other Palms, lack the user-replaceable battery. While the battery should last you several years, you wouldn't be able to swap it out for another if it dies during a double-shift. (They provide about 4 hours of constant use on a single charge.)

Due to the battery setup, a PocketPC from HP or Dell may be your best option. If your looking at the X51 low and iPaq 1940/1945, I'd take the Axim. It's newer, runs WM5 as opposed to WM2003, and wins-out spec-wise with a faster processor, more RAM, and more ROM. At $159, a refurbished X51 low it a pretty good deal, and something that should be more than capable of giving you a couple years of service.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks a lot John
by Wildcatzlair / May 21, 2006 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Slim pickins...

Thanks a lot John.
What would be a'good deal' on a refurb zire 72? besides ebay, it keeps on intermittently surfacing on overstock and palm factory outlet as ''blemished models'' for about 140 $.
few more questions please. A new tunsgten E2 is about the same cost as a refurb x51 basic, which one would u think to be a better buy?
Seconly, when they mention refurb in context of palm models ( ie ones without replaceable battery), what kind of battery life are we looking at ? (because they are used models)
thanks
dochat

Collapse -
The blemish 72 is likely to be..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks a lot John

The blue model. The paint peels off. Fix? Peel it all off. OfficeMax had the new Zire 72 on a firesale for 129 bucks new, sealed and such. I picked up one since it has bluetooth and my new software is now bluetooth enabled. It was the blue 72 and sure enough in 1 day the paint began to peel. Some took unkindly to that issue and wrote far more than I will. It looks fine without the blue paint job.

Best of luck in your quest but we currently have a few hundred E2's in the field and there's not much to write about except they work fine. The longer battery time (not life which is another subject) is noticeable and why I'm glad we didn't bother with the E model.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks a lot Bob
by Wildcatzlair / May 21, 2006 11:39 PM PDT

Si this officemax deal still on? I cant seem to find ot on the web
Thanks

Collapse -
What deal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2006 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks a lot Bob

I walked into the store and lucked out I guess. I didn't see it on a print ad.

-> Let me be blunt. Did you go shopping in the store?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by Wildcatzlair / May 22, 2006 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What deal?

No I didnt, i kind of thought that best deals to be had were on the web. Some store called edulgence from NY is selling zire 72 for ~180 $, coidition not specified, assuming new. is it a good deal? Also as I wrote before, dell outlet is sellling refub axim 51 basic for 170 while a new tungsten E2 can be had for the same. which one would u think to be better ( I am a windows person as far as pc is concerned)?
Thanks

Collapse -
The final decision is yours. Let me comment that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2006 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I write some Palm apps. (that's my disclosure statement)

When I carry my PDA it's the PalmOne T|X. My dad has the T|X and my better half likes her Vx.

The Zire 72 was picked up strictly so I have one in the collection for testing. I can give it high marks for the bluetooth stack since it seems to be the best overall in the collection for that feature. However the SD card with MP3s didn't play with the supplied player. There is a replacement player but I haven't tried it yet.

My T|X is my preferred device.

-> The Axim x51 is very nice too but I don't write for that platform yet and only have a few pocket pcs to play with.

I have not found Windows on the PDA to be anything like Windows on a PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by Wildcatzlair / May 22, 2006 5:27 PM PDT

Your mail regarding zire 72 is quite reassuring. Even though axim x51 is newer model, the temptation of owning a convenient camera in a pda at a reasonable price is overwhelming. I think palm outlet has one at present, and i will try to buyit (they disappear real fast!)
cheers

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!