HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

HELP PLEASE!!! Log in Problem - Windows Vista...

by snowman_365 / September 17, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

Dear Forum

I am having problems logging into my laptop - it is a DELL Inspiron 6400 with Windows Vista.

I have 3 profiles set up - mine, a guest and another. Mine is password protected, but now when I try and log in it says:

"The User Profile Service failed the logon.

User Profile cannot be loaded."

This problem started yesterday. I recently downloaded an update for Vista which was recommended, I think it was a Microsoft one - could this update have caused the problem.

So, now I can only log in as a guest and I can't access any of my files!!!

Is there anything I can do about this please???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP PLEASE!!! Log in Problem - Windows Vista...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP PLEASE!!! Log in Problem - Windows Vista...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HELP PLEASE!!! Log in Problem - Windows Vista...
by Basket628 / September 17, 2008 9:20 PM PDT

Loggin to a differrent account try system restore

Collapse -
Vista and Corrupt Profiles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 9:24 PM PDT

While we had hopes that CORRUPT PROFILES would go away with Vista, it has not. Let's look at the common cures.

1. Use another account. (you know this.)
2. Create your account you'll be moving to.
3. Log into your new account.
4. Research VISTA TAKE OWNERSHIP on google so you can regain access to those files.

-> But what was your plan? Where is that backup for when the hard disk stops spinning?
Bob

Collapse -
Log on Problems...
by snowman_365 / September 17, 2008 9:33 PM PDT

Ok thanks I will try this.

The thing that is worrying me though is that when I go into 'Users' it says that my old profile (the one I can't access) is empty - does this mean that somehow I have lost all my files???

Collapse -
For now it just means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Log on Problems...

You can't access what's in there. I wonder if you did the research needed here (those words on Vista). I can understand why this issue would rattle most users but are you asking before you did the work?
Bob

Collapse -
I have tried the Google search...
by snowman_365 / September 19, 2008 12:13 AM PDT

...for 'VISTA TAKE OWNERSHIP' and checked out some of the sites and tried to follow their instruction but it is all very confusing!!! I am a novice in computer terms.

The main problem seems to be that Vista no longer recognises my Password, so any action I try to take to get access to my files from a different user account then asks for a Password which it is not accepting.

Is there any way to override the Passoword do you know please???!!!

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes, it's confusing at times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
same problem
by rtaylor16064 / November 26, 2009 9:52 PM PST

What really ticks me off is that I did everything I could to search for a solution, but if this is a common problem (as I've found today in looking at many user groups), why doesn't microsoft have it as one of their FAQs or some type of fix? I had to pay $49 to microsoft to get a solution, which I'm still waiting for (just did it about 30 minutes ago) and now I get to this user group and see that I might have been able to do this for FREE. I'm very hesitant to upgrade to Windows 7 so quickly because the new system softwars ALWAYS has bugs and it might be a "be careful what you ask for" and "hindsight is always better" situation after the fact. Any advice?

Collapse -
Windows is not an "appliance."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: same problem

Unlike a toaster, Windows is too complicated to be where it is today. I think this is its Achilles heel. Sure it does this and that and is all that for so many people but stand back some distance and watch as everyday people have problems and you see that it's not been taken to task for not making it ready to use as some appliance.

If your toaster was this hard to support we would be making un-toasted sandwiches.

Hope you found the FREE fix useful. Plenty of other FREE fixes in the forums.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.