Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Help! Please! I can't install XP onto my vista computer!

by oOSNOWFOXOo / February 28, 2009 6:52 AM PST

I bought an HP 64 bit vista home premium desktop computer, and after using it for about 2 months i am more and more annoyed by my vista's compatibility and wanting to install XP professional operating system instead of vista.(either get rid of vista or create a multiboot, I don't really care.) I have the XP disc and I knew how to work it since I've done it many times before on my other computer. However, this time when I boot from the CD and allow it to load the files, it just crashes half way, saying that there is a problem and the program will be stopped to prevent any damage to the computer, and I have to reboot my PC. I tried many times and it just refuses to work.
I Googled my problem and viewed many websites and the stuff just don't work for me.(most people say just install XP with your disc, which doesn't work, I also tried burning a vista ultimate disk and a MS-DOS disk to format my hard drives, but they don't even load up...)
Can anyone help me, please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Please! I can't install XP onto my vista computer!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Please! I can't install XP onto my vista computer!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any items that are known to crash XP during install?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 7:04 AM PST
Collapse -
need more help...
by oOSNOWFOXOo / February 28, 2009 7:33 AM PST

Not really sure what SATA means...
my computer's quality seems pretty high..
6GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive
Model : m9425f
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHZ 2.33GHZ
GeForce 9500 GS video card (don't think this matters tho...)
I don't think there are any USBs plugged in except my keyboard and my mouse..
I'm not really sure what information I need to provide...so just ask me..
I've been to the HP site, they are one of the ones who said "install XP according to its instructions", so not much help...
About the drivers, I am not really worried about it right now..All I am trying to do so far is get XP on..So frustrated..
Thx for the reply anyways

Collapse -
Yup. XP will fail big time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: need more help...

You have more than 4GB RAM, a huge hard disk and old XP.

I don't see where it will do you any good with such a dated version of XP to waste your time here. Stick it out with Vista 64 and start learning the new ways.

Doomed.

Collapse -
Tell us about those discs...
by John.Wilkinson / February 28, 2009 9:57 AM PST

-> Your computer came with Windows Vista Home Premium, but you burned a Windows Vista Ultimate disc? How?
-> You have a copy of Windows XP Pro used on your old computer. Is that a retail CD or a recovery disc from the other computer's manufacturer? And is that single copy of Windows XP to be in use on both computers simultaneously?
-> Is that Windows XP disc the original Windows XP release or does it include a service pack? (If so, which one--SP1 or SP2?)

John

Collapse -
answers to above
by oOSNOWFOXOo / February 28, 2009 10:02 AM PST

1 I somehow found it on the internet....I tried to upgrade it to ultimate but did not work very well, the thing works though,just no key so I can't go on the internet
2 I have the retail CD... Don't really see why using it on both computers might be a problem...But my old computer would be abandoned anyways.
3Not sure...I just know that it's XP Professional, the other labels are long gone

Collapse -
Checking all angles...
by John.Wilkinson / February 28, 2009 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: answers to above

"I somehow found it on the internet....I tried to upgrade it to ultimate but did not work very well, the thing works though,just no key so I can't go on the internet"
-> Since that's a pirated/illegal copy, no help on that front.

"I have the retail CD"
-> Good. That eliminates the custom hardware requirement possibility.

"Don't really see why using it on both computers might be a problem"
-> Just checking the legality issue. Once license can only be used on one computer at a time. (Yes, we care about such matters.)

"Not sure...I just know that it's XP Professional, the other labels are long gone"
-> If it includes SP1 or SP2 it would state so on the CD itself. Assuming that is the original release, your best bet would be to slipstream it with SP2 onto a new CD. Adds support for larger hard drives, among other things.

John

Collapse -
well...
by oOSNOWFOXOo / March 1, 2009 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Checking all angles...

the XP disc i have is burned from the original as a backup, and i can't find the original, so....

Collapse -
So far I see no reason XP should install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2009 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: well...

Your new machine trips up the old "XP" versions in many ways.

Since you have a legitimate license why not call up Microsoft and order replacement media? The last time I did this I got a shiny new XP SP2 install cd for 35 bucks. Which beat the heck out of what it goes for on Newegg or Amazon.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!