General discussion

Help Please

I bought a HP Pavilion ze5385us about 1.2 years ago from Best Buy. Well of course the warranty is only good for one year after the purchase date. Well, My computer will not boot up now. I can cut it on but there is no action, nothing. So I took it back to Best Buy and they stated they would have to send it to the ?Geek Squad?. About three weeks later I got a call from a Geek who stated it was the ?Motherboard?. I asked what it would cost to fix it and he stated with out even laughing $700 dollars. Well as you may be able to tell I almost **** at the price. The geek stated that I could call HP they may do the repair cheaper. Next, I called 1800 whatever HP. I finally got to talk to some one in India, who I could not even understand. He stated that if I give him my Credit card # they could fix it for $269.00. I told him that I have not got my computer back from the geeks at Best Buy. He stated that I could send it when it returns from Best Buy than asked form my Credit Card Number. I told him I would call back when I got my Computer Back. After my Computer Came back about week later I called 1800 HP India again. This time they stated that it would be $269 plus what ever the cost of the part. Well I know it?s my motherboard. I asked about this and he stated a New Motherboard would cost $500 plus other cost. Now I am back to $700.00. I need Help. What can I do? I hate to trash a 1700 computer but I refuse to pay 500, or 700 to fix the damn thing. Can anyone offer some words of advice? Thanks Griffin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help Please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help Please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Advice. Tell more about your issue and less about ...

Of all the sentances, you only revealed:

"My computer will not boot up now. I can cut it on but there is no action, nothing."

You didn't tell if it beeped, or was silent. You did give the model number, but that would have me *work* at figuring out if it's an Celeron and so on. This is WORK you need to do, not me. Tell about the machine and whether you would entertain installing a new motherboard yourself or if you know how to boot the CD.

In fact, did you try booting a CD/Diskette?

In closing, drop all the complaints about car repair costs. It does cost. If you want to DIY, then you've found the right place. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, then keep writing that its expensive.

Bob

- Collapse -
Motherboard

It is an HP Pavilion ze5385us Pentium 4. The computer will not do anything when press the power. You can hear the CD rom running but nothing on the screen. It?s not the monitor. Best Buy ran a Dialysis on the machine and stated it was the mother board. What advice do you see me doing? Sorry for the lack of info I hope this helps. Thanks in Advance Griffin

- Collapse -
I looked up the model.

It's a laptop. Here's the deal that no one tells laptop owners.

-> Maintain the warranty for as long as you are willing to not pay full repair costs.

At this point you are out of warranty so your exits are very limited compared to desktops. In fact, you've pretty much written it all. My initial response would have been different if you noted it was a laptop.

Look in the notebook forum for ikenfixit.com and notefix.com to see what they estimate the repairs to be. Both do not usually resort to wholesale board swaps.

Best of luck,

Bob

- Collapse -
If the motherboard is dead...

You have pretty limited options since you bought an HP.

You might be able to find a replacement motherboard on a place such as eBay, and then it's just a matter of switching the two.

Another, IMO better, option is to sink a little more money into the system and just salvage as many parts as you can. You buy a retail motherboard that will work with the CPU in that system, a new case (since the HP case likely won't work with a non-HP motherboard), and then you take out all the parts you can from the HP system and put them into the new case. You should be able to salvage the CPU, RAM, any floppy and CD/DVD drives... Depending on the motherboard you get, you may need to buy a video card, but this is actually a good thing. Integrated video chipsets should be avoided if possible. They often steal system RAM for their own uses, degrading performance even more.

Anyway, if you build a system around a new motherboard and case, you should have a great deal more upgrade options for later on down the road. People who buy name brand systems end up having to buy whole new systems every few years... Good for the company, bad for you. Those of us who build our own, often upgrade things a few parts at a time over the years. A little more RAM one month, then maybe a good deal on a new CPU comes along, so you get that... You upgrade your video card when the latest game comes out you want to play... The list goes on. You save a bundle being able to take advantage of time sensitive deals and spreading out your upgrade over years instead of one lump payment.

- Collapse -
If you were to visit the HP website and

enter your model number and serial number, you may be totally shocked with the superb amount of info they make available. There is a downloadable document that shows step by step taking the computer apart and how to replace each type of component, what to do if you have to replace the harddrive, update BIOS, etc, etc.

I build my own computers but was helping a neighbor with her HP. I also called tech support and lucked out and got someone competent and that I could easily converse with. He was totally helpful even though I didn't have the computer there when talking to him. We just discussed various issues and he told me things to do. I was totally impressed by HP's overall support. Still I won't buy one because I prefer to build them. You may be able to order a mobo from them to install yourself for a fairly reasonable price.

You may have to do a lot of reading but the info is there.

- Collapse -
warranty

well, the debate over extended warranties will go on forever, but here's an example where, of course, you shudda. The usual axiom is that if something is going to "break," it will break almost immediately, otherwise go on working for years. Obviously, that's not always true.

maybe you can find a reasonable local shop that will order the motherboard and install it for not too much $$$. good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info