Desktops forum

General discussion

HELP!!!Pentium 3 System with 512 oof RAM and 796mhz

I upgraded my 128 RAM of a 256MB in other to makes my system faster cause i dealth with designing of graphics...
But now,my PC is really given me a problem,i loaded it with an XP UNLIMITED ,so any program am working on drags..like whenever am watching movie.
I am now guessing if probably maybe its the RAM or i didn;t share the Memory very well.Or is my 512 of RAM is not compatible with the system motherboard?
Please i need you help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!!Pentium 3 System with 512 oof RAM and 796mhz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!!Pentium 3 System with 512 oof RAM and 796mhz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much to offer

In reply to: HELP!!!Pentium 3 System with 512 oof RAM and 796mhz

XP wants all it can get. In practical terms, XP ram usage should be at least 512mb, but 1gb is best overall. Since, you have a 796Mhz cpu???, that alone will cause the system to drag even if everything was in order. XP places a heavy burden on system resources, so your real solution is to get the fastest cpu you can for that system, provided you can upgrade. Otherwise, you are experiencing what will be the best offered by the h/w with the XP OS installed. You should review what your specs are of your system and since you didn't offered what model#, make, etc. its hard to tell. Regardless, you may not gain much if you can't upgrade in the process. Your true best solution is to get a better system overall like a new system with Pentium4 or AMD, any dual core, along those lines to get better performance and this it seems will truly break away from what you do have on the h/w side of things.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hint. P3 800 MHz systems were sold prior to XP.

In reply to: HELP!!!Pentium 3 System with 512 oof RAM and 796mhz

While XP may run, you have a machine that is older that XP so your machine... "doesn't have the chops" to run both a current OS and do what you ask of it.

Why the XP Unlimited? You just added more "crud" to XP. Why not something a bit "plain?"

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.