General discussion

HELP!! pc will start, wont boot

Im tryin to fix my girlfriends comp and havent run across anything like this before.

specs are as follows
os - win98
processor - p3 1gz
memory - 128 mb pc 133
hard drive - manufacturer unknown 40gb

she says she was updating turbo tax and went to reup her drink when the dl was 90% complete, came back and screen was black.

when I try to start the pc the led on the monitor turns green, then goes back to orange, but doesnt show signal test message, No beeps during startup, cant get into bios, key board doesnt seem to work, the numlock led lights up for a second when you first hit the power button.
basically when you hit the power button, the power and HD led's both light up and the led on the cd rom blinks for a second, then it stays like that, and wont go into bios, even with boot floppy. i tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the drives and cables, tried removing, and reseating the memory, video and audio are integrated, also when I hook the harddrive up to my comp as a slave it appears to work fine, all files intact.
anywho any help anyone has to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP!! pc will start, wont boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP!! pc will start, wont boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Have you tried putting in a different cmos battery? Like taking the cmos battery out of your computer and trying it in hers? Try that and if it still doesn't work, try your psu with her computer as well... if it still doesn't work then, it's time for a new mobo...

- Collapse -

Try just the bare miniuim and see if it posts.
Most motherboards will post with the following minimum configuration:
* Keyboard
* CPU installed
* CPU fan installed and connected to the power supply or motherboard, depending on the type of fan. (Athlon and Duron processors will become crispy fries within seconds if an operational fan is not installed.)
* Memory installed
* Display adapter
* Power connected. Many ATX power supplies have a separate power switch on the back of the supply, which must be on. The 110/220 volt switch on the back of most power supplies must be in the correct position. And, of course, the power cord must be plugged into the power supply and a good wall outlet.
* Power-on from the front panel connected (and the button pushed once).
* Jumpers set correctly.
* I also connect the loud speaker so I can hear any beep code.

- Collapse -
P.S.

CNET Forums

Forum Info