Question

Help! PC not booting up, No OS Files Found - Error 0x490

Hi,

Don't know if it as coincidence but yesterday I uninstalled McAfee Anti Virus and when I restarted my PC it wouldn't boot up. I was asked to open the start up repair which I did but upon running this is said it couldn't repair it stating -

"No OS Files Found On Disk" with the Error Code 0x490

How can I resolve this without losing all my data, hope someone can help!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help! PC not booting up, No OS Files Found - Error 0x490
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help! PC not booting up, No OS Files Found - Error 0x490
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Will It Boot Into Safe Mode?

Start the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second till a selection screen loads. At the selection screen, use the up/down arrow keys to select Safe Mode, then press the "Enter" key. If it starts in Safe Mode, try using System Restore.. If System Restore doesn't work from Safe Mode, then restart the computer again, using the F8 key at startup and this time, select "Last Known Good Configuration". Press the "Enter" key, then follow the prompts to restart the computer to a time when things were good.

For other options to fix the error you're seeing, see the links below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/ststem-restore-error-code-0x490-and-sys-file/efa79e48-1ef6-47d1-85f2-1b1e374c0ec2

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Safe Mode not an option

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. No won't boot in safe mode. When I get to the selection screen neither safe mode or Last Know Config is given as an option.

At the repair console screen I selected command prompt and tried the msconfig instructions in your link but msconfig wasn't recognised as a command

- Collapse -
That's strange

and not good.

Can you confirm that, by pressing F8 you get to a screen that lists all the options available? Similar to the first image in the link below;
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemodevista.html

It's strange if not, because since you get to the Safe Mode list this shows the hard disk is working and there is something from the OS still available on the disk.

What options can you see in that list?

The problem is, if the system doesn't boot up even into the top option, Safe Mode, then that means your options then become very limited.

How did you get to that Repair Console screen?

Mark

- Collapse -
Also try F5. Why?

Just last month it happened. (What?) We encountered a machine that would not respond to the F8 command.

Remembering my MSDN Ninja training I said "try F5". F5 worked and in the screen we then could press F8.

No one knows why this happened but later it was told there was a trojan on the machine.

Remember to try the other methods since with all that malware and badware out there you'll be learning more skills than you ever imagined.
Bob

CNET Forums