PC Applications forum

General discussion

Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!

I am trying the trial version of PC-cillin, and I've already had several problems. Copy of an email sent to TrendMicro Tech Support (which was returned as failed/undeliverable):

1. I seem to be getting "false positives" of the following:

09:49","ADW_HISCLEAN.A","Spyware Detected"
"09:49","HKTL_BRUTFORCE.A","Spyware Detected"
"09:49","ADW_UCMORE.A","Spy...

I CANNOT find these files anywhere on my PC, using Add/Remove, TaskInfo,
Task Manager, Explorer Search. I do have Ad-Aware and Spybot Search &
Destroy installed, which is the only possibility I can think of as being in
_their_ databases.

2. I'm currently trying out PC-cillin, on Windows ME. Shortly after
installing and restarting my PC, I was on the internet, when I checked
PC-cillin for the logs, and to my horror, discovered the security was
disabled, and that the control to enable it was grayed out, and thus could
not be ENabled! I have not been able to find anything that relates in the
KB. I finally got it back on by closing PC-cillin and restarting the
program. But I'd REALLY like to know why it was off and what I can do to
prevent that ever happening again!

3. I tried adding a URL to the "exception" list, but the "OK" button
remained grayed-out. I could import from the favorites list, but apparently
not add a completely new URL. (Never mind-just tried it again, and it's
working now-AFTER importing though!)

4. The security check is less than clear about what to do-the "windows
update" button just takes me to "Windows Update" screen, and does not list
the updates the program is apparently recommending, and a search of their KB
is also not turning up the patches(using the list from the security check)
and I've updated all the critical SP's from there anyway. So how do I get
these updates?

5. Just for curiosity: I did a virus scan, and it scanned 95,000 files. I
was previously using ZoneAlarm and it scanned 250,000 files-why the
difference? And yes, it's set for "all file types" up to 3 layers, and
everything else is checked too. It also took about the same amount of time
(almost 2 hours).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Additional note: the "view logs" shows NO logs for the virus scans. OTOH, it didn't find any viruses either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Anybody have any ideas, since it looks like I won't be getting any help from the tech staff!

FWIW: I also just recently bought ZoneAlarm Security Suite, after trying the trial version of ZA Pro for 90 days. ZA Pro worked beautifully....ZA Suite has been a nightmare, so after the 7th time (in less than a week) I had to uninstall/reinstall I've asked for a refund from ZA. Previously, I was using Norton System Works, but they've gotten so greedy, I want to try something different (better!) Hence, the trial with PC-cillin. The way it turned itself off, though, makes me VERY nervous!

Any help appreciated!

VBear

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's trial which means it will disable and no support.

In reply to: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!

I can't fix most trials so how about a non-trial?

http://www.grisoft.com has a free version (no-trial) and you can pay up if you like it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's trial which means it will disable and no support.

In reply to: It's trial which means it will disable and no support.

Most companies give their trial software _some_ support! Or they won't get _new_ customers!

And yes, I know about AVG--I was using it with ZA Pro--I've got a copy of AVG7, and Avast too, that I haven't installed (yet), since PC-c and ZA both required any other anti-v to be uninstalled. I'll give Norton kudos on this-at least, it'll work with other competitive programs. Oh yeah, McAfee came with my PC, and was worse than ZA for causing problems. I even tried it again a few months ago, and it still messed everything up. Haven't tried Kapersky or Panda though.

VBear

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: It's trial which means it will disable and no support.

Are you asking a single utility to do everything? If so, it may be a bit too much.

What I mean is, Norton's Security Suite, McAfee, and as far as I know PC-cillin, are suites of programs that try to encompass anti-virus software, a firewall, and anti-spam, anti-spyware, anti-adware, etc.

Whilst they have the best of intentions, it is my (small) experience that these suites get bloated and fat. Their separate parts are trying to check this, do that, prevent the other, and block something else, and some PC systems find it too much.

A lot of people on these forums prefer the "small is better" approach, and use smaller single programs for each type of defence.

EG, I use;

ZoneAlarm free edition just as a firewall, (although I must admit have recently upgraded to the Pro program, but I had no problems with the free version).

AVG, just for antivirus,

Ad-Aware, just for anti-adware,

Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster for anti-spyware.

I'm told CWShredder is also good.

All of these are smaller programs and only get called upon whenever they are required. Otherwise they sit in memory quietly waiting and do not take up much memory space.

Other people will have other favorites but we rarely get conflict problems this way.

Mark

Collapse -

I have used Pc-cillin for years and it is a very good program. Look at cnets ratings. It is not bloated like the other person says. yes it has all those programs but, Norton slows your machine a lot more. If you have Pc-cillin trial and zonealarm both, they are not compatible and thats were your problem is. I have never tried the trial but, you may have gotten a bad download. I don't think Bob's suggestion was bad but, if you are looking to buy. I promise you will love pc-cillin. I use it on xp now but, used it on Me before XP. Never have had a problem.

Collapse -

I stand corrected about PC-cillin, Happy

Mark

Collapse -

Thankyou Mark ! Happy Skip

Collapse -

I DID look at cnet! LOL-that's why I'm trying it out! And I had to uninstall ZA (made the mistake of buying it unfortunately and it's gonna be a real headache getting a refund!)(clarification: I bought ZA Suite, after trying out ZA Pro-BAD mistake! ZA Pro was great-ZA Suite I gave up on after un/re-install 7 times in less than a week. Blue screens, freeze ups, "low resources" warnings, lost settings.... )
But I uninstalled ALL anti-virus/firewalls that I had, before installing Pc-cillin, so that's not it.

And I still don't see why PC-c would disable itself under any circumstances! THAT's what really makes me nervous! If I can't trust it without checking every 5 min or so, it's not much use, no matter how good a job it does.

VBear

Collapse -
Re: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!

In reply to: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!

I'm having similar problems and I am using a new copy of PC-cillin Internet Security 2005

Collapse -
Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

In reply to: Re: Help! Pc-cillin disabled itself!

Collapse -
Re: Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

In reply to: Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

Couldn't get it to work, that's partly why I downloaded PC-c. Of course, it might work now that I've uninstalled ZA Suite!

VBear

Collapse -
Just noting gaobot virus...

In reply to: Re: Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

Collapse -
Re: Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

In reply to: Re: Not the same issue as I see it. Not a trial copy.

yes it should work Za and Pc-c won't work together.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!