Camcorders forum

General discussion

HELP! Panasonic SDR-H60 software won't work with 64 bit OS

by veryfrustrated / December 3, 2008 1:11 PM PST

To anyone who can help,

I bought a Panasonic SDR-H60 a few months ago. Just recently my computer crashed and I purchased a new Dell Desktop that is really nice. The only problem is that it has stupid Vista Ultimate which I have learned is a 64 bit operating system. The Videocam Suite 1.0 software that came with the SDR-H60 was written for a 32 bit operating system. I called Panasonic who was not helpful at all, and learned that they don't have any software that is compatible with a 64 bit operating system! None! So they told me that they could not help me at all. And could not tell me how to get my video to my computer.

I am not an idiot with technology but I have zero experience with video. Is there a 3rd party software that is free, or cheap that can do this? Can I do it with moviemaker? Basically, can someone tell me how I can move my sweet videos of my little 2 year old to my home computer and how I can edit them!

Thanks in advance...

-Very Frustrated...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Panasonic SDR-H60 software won't work with 64 bit OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Panasonic SDR-H60 software won't work with 64 bit OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The SDR- H60 ships with a very limited bit of software for
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 2:04 AM PST

"The SDR- H60 ships with a very limited bit of software for editing"

This seems to surprise many but for years you never got video editing software due to the costs involved. Now they ship limited versions so nothing new here.

Let's see what software allows editing?

"You can record high-quality MPEG-2 footage and deliver more than 500 lines of horizontal resolution, depending on camcorder quality. Some video cameras will also record in AVCHD or H.264 formats, giving you more flexibility for recording." - Cnet.

So there you are. ANY video editing software that (a) runs on Vista 64 that supports (b) those video formats is good to go.

Look at Sony Vegas.
Bob

Collapse -
Panasonic Software
by Luke1721 / December 6, 2008 10:08 PM PST

I have an SDR-H20 and have had some problems with the software that came with it. Almost think it would be better if they didn't ship software with the camcorders.

But Vista x64 has also caused it's share of problems. If you copy the videos to your computer, try playing the videos in Windows Media Player. Vista includes a video editing software called Windows Movie Maker that should be better than the panasonic software. Also, since you have Vista Ultimate you also have Windows DVD Maker that will allow you to burn the movies you make in Movie Maker onto a DVD, and create titles, menus, etc.

If not, you may want to invest in a piece of commercial software as previously mentioned such as Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere Elements, or Pinnacle Studio. You should be able to find any of those for somewhere between $70-$120 (USD).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.