Camcorders forum

General discussion

Help! Panasonic PV-GS300 or Canon ZR800 series or Sony HC48!

by norbertoroman / February 27, 2007 4:55 AM PST

I'm getting close to buy my camcorder! Here is something about the use I'm going to give to it:

Only for Vacationing, My soon born baby!, and stuff like that! Everybody comments about quirky sounds! I being for 1 month straight reading and reading and reading comments, blogs, and reviews! and honestly I'm sooo confused! that I don't know what to do.
I will not be playing with the camcorder everyday! but I want to be able to Record something then download it in my computer (windows xp) and then burn it in a DVD to keep it and/or send it to my family!

Please help me out Professionals out there!! I don't think I would be able to check another brand or style! SadSad

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Panasonic PV-GS300 or Canon ZR800 series or Sony HC48!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Panasonic PV-GS300 or Canon ZR800 series or Sony HC48!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go with the Panasonic
by blaine100 / February 27, 2007 2:09 PM PST

From what you want to do, you'll be shooting mostly in automatic mode. In that case, I'd go with the Panasonic GS300. It's a little too early for reviews of the ZR800 or the HC48 to come out but given the ratings of their predecessors (the ZR700 and the HC46), I'd definitely go with the Panasonic.

I know you've read all the reviews you can already but here's a final score for the cameras (I've only included the predecessors for the Canon and Sony):
Panasonic PV-GS300 (score=77) - http://www.productcritic.com/product/29-panasonic-pv-gs300-nv-gs300
Canon ZR700 (score=64) - http://www.productcritic.com/product/79-canon-zr700
Sony HC46 (score=64) - http://www.productcritic.com/product/15-sony-dcr-hc46

Collapse -
In general...
by ChrisJBSC / February 28, 2007 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Go with the Panasonic

Sony are great for automatic mode - making it easy for consumers. But they then do lots of lock-in (e.g. different memory cards to everyone else) to keep you in the fold.
Panasonic are great for the manual control of what the camera can do - but less good for the automatic "jut point and shoot".
Canon are very well known as a great camera maker. They provide both an "easy mode" and a manual over-ride control. And they use some very good lenses.

How this fits with individual cameras, I am not sure....

Collapse -
i GO WITH Panasonic PV-GS300
by norbertoroman / February 28, 2007 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: In general...

Thanks you Chris
Good Job!

Collapse -
Panasonic PV-GS300
by norbertoroman / February 28, 2007 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Go with the Panasonic

I thinks I'm going with the panasonic!

Thnaks my friend!

Collapse -
Fair comparison?
by GadgetMonkey / February 28, 2007 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic PV-GS300

Is it really fair to be comparing those three camera's? The Panasonic is much more expensive than the other two. You might as well look at the Sony HC96. That gets better ratings than all three I think. And the price isn't that much higher than the Panasonic.

Collapse -
:( low budget!
by norbertoroman / February 28, 2007 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Fair comparison?

actually I was looking at the price wrong! My budget is not more than $400.

Any suggestions?

Please!

Collapse -
Budget Camera's
by GadgetMonkey / February 28, 2007 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: :( low budget!

I'm in the same boat as you. I think this is one of those times where you just have to go hold the camera and then decide. I'm leaning towards the Canon because it feels better in my hand, has a bigger screen and a bigger zoom than the Sony. Plus the ZR800 has a mic input, which the Sony doesn't.

I also don't like the idea of the touchscreen menu on the Sony. It seems like a good idea, but then you're putting your usually clean, but probably sometimes dirty fingers on a nice shiny screen.

I have never owned a camcorder before so I'm coming at this from a completely unbiased approach.

Collapse -
I Did! I think I'm going with this one! What you think?
by norbertoroman / February 28, 2007 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Budget Camera's

FIRST I WENT TO BEST BUY AND TRIED THE CANON ZR800 AND IT IS SO SO.. I HEARD BOTH HAVE SOEM KIND OF ISSUES UNRESOLVE WITH THE NOISE. BUT THE PANASONIC PV-GS320 THAT I TOLD YOU IT WAS EXPENSIVE, CNET RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AND IT IS ON $409. FREE TAX AND FREE SHIPPING. NOW U CAN'T BEAT THAT AND THIS IS A BETTER CAMERA THAN THE CANON AND THE SONY. WHAT YOU THINK?

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PNPVGS320

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.