Cameras forum

General discussion

Help: Panasonic Digital Camera "No Memory Card" Message

by richk666 / February 27, 2008 3:35 AM PST

Hello. I've had the Panasonic DMC-LC33 digital camera for a few years, and have never had a problem. Recently, I removed the 2GB SD memory card & used another camera to view photos on that card. When I put the card back in my camera, the message "No Memory Card" appeared.

After this, I was able to view the photos in another camera AND through an SD card reader, so the problem appears to be with the camera. I saved the photos to a disc, deleted them from the card, re-formatted the card & put it back in my camera...but the "No Memory Card" message still appears.

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to fix this? The camera is no longer under warranty, so I either have to fix it myself or buy a new camera (which I'd prefer not to do). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich K

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help: Panasonic Digital Camera "No Memory Card" Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help: Panasonic Digital Camera "No Memory Card" Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try the usal. Format th ecard in the camera.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 3:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Camera Doesn't Recognize The Card
by richk666 / February 27, 2008 3:44 AM PST

Thanks, but I can't format the card in the camera when it doesn't know the card is there. I formatted the card in a friend's camera, but my Panasonic still won't recognize the card.

FYI, I also tried another 128MB SD card, but the camera didn't recognize it either. Seems to be a problem with the camera, not the card.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Ouch. Choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 4:00 AM PST
Collapse -
by richk666 / February 27, 2008 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch. Choices.

Hi Bob. Not sure I feel comfortable taking the camera apart, but of course I would try that before throwing it out. Maybe I'll try one of those cleaning kits first. Do you really think that cleaning the SD contacts could fix it? I'm just wondering how it went from working perfectly to not reading the card after removing it for just a couple of minutes.
Rich K

Collapse -
This is where taking it apart would be best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

I'm an electronics designer and the new ROHS compliant (lead free) solder is more prone to cracking. So if it's the usual the connection needs a quick touchup of the solder work or the contact needs cleaning.

Collapse -
by richk666 / February 27, 2008 5:04 AM PST

Would you recommend opening the camera up to someone who doesn't own a soldering gun? If it's as simple as cleaning the SD connectors, what should I clean them with?

Collapse -
Those kits bring it down to novice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Novice
Collapse -
Something to Try
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 6:51 AM PST

Since you have a card reader.......

Put the memory card in the card reader and use the computer to delete all files and all folders on the card.

Then it is very likely that the camera can recognize and format the card.

As you know now.......putting you memory card into a different camera to look at the photos is not a good idea.

Collapse -
Card Already Formatted
by richk666 / February 28, 2008 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Something to Try

Hi Snapshot2. I already deleted all the photos & re-formatted the memory card on a card reader, but my camera still doesn't recognize the card. I also tried my old memory card, but it has the same problem. I think I'll try one of those cleaning kits, and hope it's just the memory card sensors inside the camera. If not, since I don't know how to use a soldering iron, it looks like I'll be in the market for a new camera (and at least I'll have a cleaning kit for that).

Thanks for letting me know that I shouldn't read a memory card in another camera. I don't know why that would be the case, but I'll be more cautious in the future.

Rich K

Collapse -
Card already formatted
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 29, 2008 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: Card Already Formatted

Oh heck.

This sounds like something that two Panasonic owners have reported.
An unusual message after formatting.
This is a Panasonic quirk.

It is saying, "I did the format, it is formatted" instead of "format complete".

You should be able to use the card.
Take some pictures and see if it is working.

Collapse -
Card no longer detected.
by Papa Echo / February 29, 2008 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: Card Already Formatted

Set to different modes- play mode, novie mode, picture mode - to see if the camera can detect the card. Try a new card- one never been used before... Also, have the battery fully charged.

Collapse -
Nothing's Working
by richk666 / March 5, 2008 11:55 PM PST

Well, I bought a Norazza SD cleaner and used it several times, but the camera is still not recognizing either of the SD cards I've inserted. As I pointed out in an earlier post, the camera was working fine for years until I used the SD card briefly in another camera. Since I'm not technically proficient enough to open the camera & figure out what to fix, does anyone have another suggestion before I (sadly) trash my beloved Panasonic DMC-LC33 and purchase a new digital camera? Everyone's assistance is greatly appreciated.

Rich K

Collapse -
Tried it all
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 6, 2008 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing's Working

Before trashing the Panasonic and see if they have any suggestions.

Collapse -
Panasonic Wants My Money
by richk666 / March 6, 2008 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Tried it all

Actually, I contacted Panasonic first. Since the camera is no longer under warranty, they suggested I either send it to them or go to an authorized service center. Either way, it'll cost over $100 just for someone to look at it, plus the cost of the repair and shipping. It'll be cheaper to buy a new camera. Not thrilled about that, since I love my Panasonic, but hopefully I'll find something I like just as much.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / March 6, 2008 6:02 PM PST

opening up the camera is far better than just trashing it. You will learn something and maybe have the satisfaction of repairing it yourself. You have nothing to lose.

Collapse -
Try this.....
by prius04 / March 10, 2008 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Well.
Collapse -
Sadly, Nothing's Working
by richk666 / March 13, 2008 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.....

Hi Prius04. I downloaded the Panasonic SD Formatter, but because the camera is not recognizing that there is an SD card inserted, the Formatter can't do anything. I've now (1) re-formatted the SD card in a friend's card reader, (2) used an SD slot cleaner, and (3) downloaded the Formatter program, but nothing is working. I appreciate everyone's input, but it appears my only other choice is to open the camera & keep my fingers crossed. Wish me luck, and thanks again.

Rich K

Collapse -
Same Problem
by blondiebachus / May 2, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

I'm having the exact same problem with my Canon Powershot A560. Suddenly it tells me I have no memory card. I have not used it in another camera but had just inserted my card into my laptop to upload my photos. I have tried 3 different cards in the camera and it recognizes none of them. Someone suggested I replace the date/time battery so I did that but it didn't help. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Collapse -
Canon Question
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 3, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

You should start a new thread with this question, since it is about a different brand of Camera.

And you have attached your question to an old thread.
Many people will not read it.

I suggest you go to:

and click the red "create a new thread" button.

Forum Moderator

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?