Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HELP!! Packet Loss - WRT160N w/Vista 64 bit new Dell PCs

by Zippygirl / July 27, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

Help, I am desperate!! I am looking for specific instructions on how to remedy the problem of random packet loss. I've had Comcast dig up my yard, spent countless HOURS w/tech supp. for Linksys & Dell with NO results. FINALLY someone mentioned 'packet loss and random disconnect' - this is me!!
I have 2 new Dell laptops & 1 new Dell desktop all with Vista 64 bit. My router is Linksys WRT160N.
Please tell me **HOW** to fix this problem. I need specific detailed instructions. I am not a pc newbie, yet not an expert either. I have reviewed the other threads only to see coloquial commentary responses.
Feel free to e-mail me directly @ razzzberryl@yahoo.com
Regards,
Zippygirl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!! Packet Loss - WRT160N w/Vista 64 bit new Dell PCs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!! Packet Loss - WRT160N w/Vista 64 bit new Dell PCs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you on wifi?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 8:24 AM PDT

If so there is no known cure since it's an open air connection. There can be interfering signals that you must accept the occasional drop.

If there must be no drop, get wired. Also, do not use a router. Connect directly to Comcast's cable modem.
Bob

Collapse -
I have both wifi laptops & hard wired desktop
by Zippygirl / July 27, 2009 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you on wifi?

My desktop is hardwired to the router and the laptops are on my wireless network. The desktop is the one I fight with the most losing the signal. It will be ok for a while then it just drops off. The irony is that when the desktop drops off I have a good connection on the laptops & Xbox. And when the wireless laptops & Xbox lose connection the desktop is good.

It doesn't make any sense! As I mentioned I have spent HOURS to figure it out. I have: reset every modem, router, reset & reconfigured the router, the mac address, secured the network, ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, ipconfig/flushdns, repaired the connection thru control panel - and nothing works.

Collapse -
Then less parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 12:35 PM PDT

Be sure there are no TORRENTS or such running. But as it stands you can only try it without the router for a test run.

Collapse -
Torrents?
by Zippygirl / July 27, 2009 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Then less parts.

Forgive me , but what are "torrents" and how do I check to see if they are running?

Collapse -
Let's say you don't have such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Torrents?

What's left is a deeper description of the problem.

-> Some call it "packet loss" when an online video buffers.

What are you calling packet loss?
Bob

Collapse -
Interfering signals originate from where?
by Zippygirl / July 27, 2009 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you on wifi?

In your experience firsthand or thru networking, what electronic devices and/or equipment would throw an interference signal?

Collapse -
Firsthand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

As an electronics designer I lived in labs where we would design wireless gear. What I must do is to avoid all the tech language and share that 2.4GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens and other things can cause a wifi signal to drop. But let's hear what you call "packet loss."
Bob

Collapse -
substitute
by philbernie / July 27, 2009 12:33 PM PDT

Can you find a substitute for your router? Buy a wireless router and see if it behaves the same way. It could be the NAT component of your router. Use default settings--DCHP, IPV4-obtain ip auto.

Borrow a friend's router or buy from an electronic store that allows 100% return.

Collapse -
NAT & DCHP
by Zippygirl / July 27, 2009 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: substitute

Is NAT component basically configuration?
I will double check the router settings again to make sure:
Use default settings--DCHP, IPV4-obtain ip auto.
wish me luck!

Collapse -
SOLUTION FOUND!! - Linksys WRT160N is a pos & sucks
by Zippygirl / July 28, 2009 9:02 AM PDT

I am so excited to share this post.

All along I thought my problem was something OTHER than the router because I had repalced it with a new one (same model wrt160n). Therein lied my problem the same crappy Linksys.

I bought a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit WNR3500 and the problem disappeared immediately. My network is lightening fast! All along they were telling me it was my ISP followed by someone else's theory of 'packet loss'.

Spread the word of an outstanding product Netgear as well as my tale of woe with Linksys.

I kindly thank you all for your time & feedback. Zippygirl

Collapse -
Congrats!
by philbernie / July 28, 2009 12:38 PM PDT

Substitution is a great way to troubleshoot something you suspect is a problem. Happy for you Happy

Collapse -
Similar Problem Solved
by bobbykarate / June 11, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I recently built a new desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit which is hard wired to my Linksys WRT160N. I kept getting dropped connections and limited connectivity and thought it was my ISP. I jumped on my MacBook and noticed the wireless was perfectly fine, and so was my XBOX 360 connection, so it wasn't my ISP. Then I thought it had something to do with some software I installed on my new rig, so I did some troubleshooting with that for about a week with no luck. Finally, I narrowed it down to the router. I had no connection issues with my last PC connected to the router (Win7 32Bit), so I figured it must be a compatibility issue with the router and the new 64bit version of windows running on my PC. Problem Solved: Went to the linksys website and grabbed the new Firmware Version: v2.0.03, updated, and haven't had a problem since.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.