Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

help on securing files and data!

Hi, I am trying to make my windows file sharing secure for my small business. I have 10 systems an I do not want to install active directory and spend hours of time trying to manage. The default sharing in windows seems to be unsecured. Any client can connect to my share or printer. Enabling user name and password and modifying acls is lot of work and complex for my small business. any suggestions?

thanks?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help on securing files and data!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help on securing files and data!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reality? AD is the answer here.

In reply to: help on securing files and data!

To use the native methods of file and permissions you have to run to each machine and create accounts on each one. Let's say you have 20 machines and users. That's 20 accounts to be created on 20 machines or 400 times through the User management tools.

How could AD be worse than this?

Bob

Collapse -
your question

I ran into ZASystems ZAShare, I have download their trial version and it seems to password protect my folder shares and printers and does lot more like hide and block any files from folder share . It is very easy to use. I am trying to figure out if I should buy it. There price seems to be on lower side (34.95 per copy) considering the functionality they provide. My question, has anyone tried their products and your thoughts?

Thanks

Collapse -
Weird.

In reply to: your question

Why would I use that since NTFS already has owner, permissions and more?

I can only think they do well since some admin (IT?) don't want to learn NTFS permissions.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks everyone!

I have purchased ZAShare and I am able to share by contacts and calendar with others in the office. We don't have exchange server so we couldn't do it before. Now, we can share our contacts.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.