Question

Help on Samsung UN65KS8000 for 4k/HDR/PS4 Set-Up!?

Oct 17, 2016 3:44PM PDT

can someone tell me for sure how i need to plug in the ps4 to make sure im getting the 4k + hdr, once the ps4 pro comes out. i have an onkyo receiver that i think is around 6 years old, i guess it has ARC but it doesnt have a specific hdmi for that, i dont think.

but do i need to plug the ps4 directly into the one-connect instead of going through the receiver. right now i have everything going into the receiver and then one hdmi to the one-connect and thats it. but from the little bit ive looked up so far, im thinking i should have the ps4 plug directly into the one-connect box instead of the receiver.

can seomeone tell me for sure how to set it up, thanks!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help on Samsung UN65KS8000 for 4k/HDR/PS4 Set-Up!?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help on Samsung UN65KS8000 for 4k/HDR/PS4 Set-Up!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What has happened to Samsung and the stores?
Oct 17, 2016 3:59PM PDT

This is the first things you want to ask the seller (store) and of course Samsung via their 800 number or chat (1800SAMSUNG and samsung.com.)

Because no receiver is listed you don't know if it passes 4K UHD (your TV is UHD) and we now ARC and CeC is always hit and miss. I find you can't know until it's all plugged in.

For gaming, I suggest direct connections to reduce input lag. For now you need to think 1080p for gaming, even on the PS4.

For all other the setup is all sources to the receiver, then the HDMI 2.0 from receiver to UHD TV and an optical from TV back to receiver for OTA and game use.

My question stands. Did the seller and maker abandon you after they processed your credit card?

- Collapse -
Oct 18, 2016 12:36AM PDT

well i havent called best buy or samsung cause i was hoping for a faster explanation on here first, but i suppose i will call one or both sometime pretty soon.

the onkyo receiver is model HT-R990. i wouldnt think it would be 4k available since its 6 years old or something like that, but i dont know for sure. it has arc and cec or rihd although i dont know if i have those turned on or exactly how they work, i dont have an optical cable and i dont really know offhand how that works or plugs in. i had just used regular hdmi before, i got a new high-speed hdmi to go from the receiver to the one-connect but the ps4 still has the original hdmi, since it doesnt have 4k/hdr i was just waiting til the ps4 pro which i assume comes with a high-speed hdmi.

- Collapse -
Don't fall for high speed cables.
Oct 18, 2016 9:09AM PDT

Cables are a well done area. Just get AmazonBasics and be done with it. There are salesfolk that want to sell you cables. Don't fall for it.

OK, I looked at the receiver web site and read "the HT-R990 boasts 4K upsampling" so it does do 4K UHD. You can check the rest of the specs next.

-> And again with that "high speed HDMI." Don't fall victim to cable sales folk.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cnet+all+cables+are+the+same

- Collapse -
different receiver
Oct 18, 2016 12:30PM PDT

ok i was mistaken on the receiver, its actually the TX- SR507. i just started looking up stuff on that one, it has the old hdmi and i dont think it has arc or cec, i thought the one i had was too old for those things, so ill just call best buy and see if they can help on the phone, maybe ill update the receiver, probably not.

and i know about the hdmi cables, i got one from monoprice for 2 bucks.

thanks.

- Collapse -
No UHD pass through noted. But what UHD sources?
Oct 18, 2016 12:42PM PDT
- Collapse -
Oct 18, 2016 1:18PM PDT

im getting confused now with looking up all this stuff. if i connect the ps4 directly to the tv, it wont be able to use the receiver's audio for the ps4 unless i connect an optical cable also? and because my receiver is old, i would need to connect the ps4 directly to the tv in order to get 4k/hdr once i have a ps4 pro, right? thanks.

- Collapse -
Your choice.
Oct 18, 2016 1:33PM PDT

I shared my choice of hookups and here we are. I can't guess why you don't go with your setup to see if you like it. There has never been a single "correct" way. We have some wiggle room depending on what we want.

Here I don't see any 4K UHD sources so the receiver is all good with what you have.

- Collapse -
i think i got it now...
Oct 18, 2016 1:42PM PDT

well my set up now is fine because i dont have the need for 4k/hdr yet, but in 3 weeks when the ps4 pro comes out, then i will be using those 2 features. so i dont think my current set up will allow for that, with currently everything running through the receiver. i think to fix it i need to plug the ps4 into the tv, and then use the optical cable to the receiver, i just havent been for sure if thats what i need to do or not, but it seems like it is, thanks again.

- Collapse -
I don't want to upset you.
Oct 18, 2016 1:54PM PDT

CNET Forums

Forum Info