Computer Help forum

General discussion

help on dial up modems

I have a IBM 2003 R31 laptop which I run in the city over a telephone line which has touch tone. The computer has a Modem Agere Systems AC'97 Modem(com3). Everything works fine in the city. When I take the computer to the cottage it will not hook up to the service provider because the phone is set up for use with pulse. All 2 other computers pre 2001 work fine but not my laptop. The desktop computer properties works with a \Conexant HCF V90 56K DataFax PCI mode. Can anyone suggest how I can possibly change a setting to make my newer laptop work at the cottage?
Thanks DJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help on dial up modems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help on dial up modems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dial up modem

In reply to: help on dial up modems

Bbomber,

This, of course, is totally dependent on the features of the modem and the modem driver. The modem properties (that you can reach via the external connections icon of your connection) should have a setting to choose between pulse and tone, if the modem supports it.
So all I can advise here is to go out and search for it.

Your might try to find a manual for that particular chipset on www.agere.com, but I'm not sure it's there. And they say "Agere Systems manufactures modem chipsets for V.90. The chip sets are sold to original equipment manufacturers (OEM), who in turn builds the modem and should support technical questions.", which implies that they think that IBM customer support should answer your question.

If you can't solve this, and still want to use your laptop in your cottage, I'm afraid you will have to buy another modem. I've had a USB dial-up modem myself (when I still had dialup), and I suppose you can still find them. A perfect selection criterion: does it support pulse?

Hopet this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks Kees

In reply to: Re: dial up modem

Kees..thanks for the reply. I'm a newbie with respect to different types of modems. My old IBM notebook used a 10/100 Etherjet PCI Adapter with Wake on LAN. It was a card that you slipped into the left side of the laptop and then a little connector was connected to the card and then other the end into the telephone line. I have a card slot on my newer laptop. Just wondering if I could use the old card in my newer laptop? Will it damage my newer laptop? Any help will be apprecaited. Thanks BBomber

Collapse -
Re: modem

In reply to: thanks Kees

If it fits physically, it's not likely to harm. But an Ethernet-adapter is quite something else as a dial-up modem, so I think you're confusing a few things. And, of course, you'll need to install the right XP-driver for it or it won't work at all, even if it IS a dial-up modem and it HAS the right connections.

Like BobB below, I really suggest you have look in the modem properties to see if you can coax this modem into pulse-mode. If that isn't available, I'd advise to take your laptop to the shop and let them tell you what you need to buy to be able to dial-up with it.

Kees

Collapse -
kees

In reply to: Re: modem

Well you're correct..I have a driver but not XP so that won't work. Ok. I'll look at the properties again but I know they are not there. Is there an IBM address that I could connect for help? Thanks again Kees...Merry Christmas!!! BBomber

Collapse -
Maybe easy???

In reply to: help on dial up modems

Start>settings>cont panl>modems>dialing properties.

Got a setting to flip between tone and pulse?

Collapse -
bob b

In reply to: Maybe easy???

Thanks bob b for the directions on where to look. On my desktop there is a place to switch but I cannot find such a choice on the newer laptop.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.