Desktops forum

Help on custom build pc

by c-los512 / July 7, 2012 1:57 PM PDT

Ok so i'm quite new to the whole build your own pc thing, and know my way, at least i would say (software wise), around a computer. As for the computer itself such as, the cpu and graphics not so much.

So as far as a budget for my pc is concerned I'm trying to keep the whole pc itself under around $700 - $650. I plan to periodically buy the parts instead of one giant chunk out of my paycheck, so maybe spend around $100 - $120 dollars every two weeks. Right now I have been looking around the web and have a very rough collection of parts i would consider buying for my pc. Now seeing as how I'm not that savvy hardware wise, I'm not even sure if all these parts would suffice for a ok/good/great pc rig, or even run lol.

So i would be FOREVER in your debt if ANYONE could help me.

The parts I have "selected" are as follows:

PC case: NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Orange Trim Computer Case

DVD drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Hard drive: Seagate SV35 Series ST3500411SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L )

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

and an extra fan (not sure if I even need it?)
Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Right now if i buy all these parts from Newegg this is all gonna cost me a little over $600. (But i plan on buying everything periodically i.e. every two weeks)

Well there it all is. Anything helps.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help on custom build pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help on custom build pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Bob__B / July 7, 2012 11:20 PM PDT

Is there some reason you picked a micro mobo to fit into that standard size case?

I'd skip the after market cooler at first.
Monitor the might find the stock cooler works fine.

Ram and OS?

Newegg has a time limit on returning parts.
That might present a problem if you collect the parts over a long period of time and then when you try to assemble something does not work.

Collapse -
by c-los512 / July 8, 2012 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts

Damn, embarrassing i forgot the damn ram lol
Guess i'll go with this one: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

As for the micro motherboard no wasn't even aware it was a micro one until you pointed it out
So I picked a new one: Intel BOXDH77KC LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

For the OS I was just gonna go with a simple Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Also I was also aware of this problem as well, so I decided I would buy the cheaper parts first, such as the windows, PSU, Case, etc. parts I know SHOULD work. Then buy all the other more expensive parts. I plan to buy all the parts within a 2 or 2 1/2 month span. If that makes sense..

Collapse -
by Bob__B / July 8, 2012 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I don't think that mobo and an amd cpu are going to fit together.

Round peg.........square hole.

Collapse -
by c-los512 / July 8, 2012 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused

Well whats the difference between a regular mobo and a micro one?

What type of mobo would you recommend?

Collapse -
(NT) Overall size and number of peripheral slots
by VAPCMD / July 8, 2012 7:31 AM PDT
Collapse - bob b said...You need to pick a CPU and
by VAPCMD / July 8, 2012 7:37 AM PDT

motherboard.from the same platform......whether it be AMD or Intel. Can't put an Intel CPU in a motherboard designed for an AMD processor and vice versa.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / July 8, 2012 7:49 AM PDT

Well whats the difference between a regular mobo and a micro one?
The atx mobo is larger and has more features than the micro-atx mobo.

What type of mobo would you recommend?
Atx since it will fit in your mid tower case.

The mobo must support the cpu that you install on it.
You can not just grab any mobo and any cpu and stick them together........natta wok.
It seems you have picked an Intel mobo and an Amd cpu........mismatch.

Collapse -
Mobo Reply
by c-los512 / July 8, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Mobo

Oh ok I get it now

So this Mobo should work, correct?: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Collapse -
(NT) Looks like a match.
by Bob__B / July 8, 2012 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Mobo Reply
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?