Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help on a clean install of XP Pro on a second drive

by Lodgingman / May 12, 2009 2:22 AM PDT

I'm running XP Pro on a 20GB SATA HD but having some registry issues so I want add a 50GB SATA HD and make it the master. I don't want to 'Ghost' the XP over due to the registry concerns. What is the best way to do it once I get the new drive formatted. Also, is there a Microsoft issue having the same copy of XP Pro on both drives initially?

If it makes any difference, I'm also upgrading the motherboard and adding memory.

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help on a clean install of XP Pro on a second drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help on a clean install of XP Pro on a second drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Preference...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

Unplug the old drive from the system and install the new drive as the master. Use the Windows XP disc to format and install the operating system on the new hard drive.. Then install all drivers, software and updates to the new drive. Connect the old drive to the computer as the secondary drive and format it or do with it as you will.

I am interested where you got a 50GB SATA hard drive.. I've not seen them around here as everything here is MUCH larger than that.

As long as the motherboard and other hardware are the same, you shouldn't have validation issues by simply replacing the hard drive with a newer one. It's a legal option when an HD goes down, etc.. If you do have issues when validating, contact Microsoft and they should get it taken care of..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Big help
by Lodgingman / May 12, 2009 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My Preference...

Thank you. That's the path I will take. I appreciate your reply and help.

Sorry about the 50GB, that should have been 500GB.

Collapse -
fresh install of current OS on NEW HDD
by bigozone / May 13, 2009 4:41 PM PDT

i understand why you don't want to image from one drive to the other.

install XP Pro on the new drive after installing the 50g in the machine. download SP1 or SP2 ((but not SP3) especially if using audio hardware based on realtek, or any UAA HD sound driver.

install SP1 or 2, then install the AUDIO DRIVER FIRST.. it will prevent a very common issue.

install other hardware drivers. start w/ motherboard CHIPSET drivers, graphics drivers, WAN & LAN drivers

after all other drivers are installed and working in windows device manager,,, then you can install SP3 at this point and everything should remain functional after the SP3 upgrade

you should have NO ISSUES because the different HDDs will have the same basic windows install code; unless you try to setup dual boot options.

as long as you just use the old 20g drive for accessing your old data, you will be fine..

ALL PROGRAMS you wish to move from old hdd to new hdd MUST BE RE-INSTALLED freshly on the 50g hdd

Collapse -
Clean install of new hard drive
by Lodgingman / May 13, 2009 10:34 PM PDT

Wow! Thank you! I didn't realize it to be that complex. I will follow your recommendations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.