HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HELP OMG

by bigelowbkm / February 15, 2007 5:24 AM PST

OMG i got elder scrolls for oblivion and my graphics card doesnt work i want a new one that costs not too much money and will play the game on say low-medium graphics setting please help me ive been spending the last 2 hours on the phone for help and its gotten me no where thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP OMG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP OMG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What computer do you have? (the more details, the better)
by linkit / February 15, 2007 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: HELP OMG
Collapse -
Video card help
by bigelowbkm / February 16, 2007 4:57 AM PST

It's a Dell Dimension E310 series w/ Intel Pentium 4 Processor 521(2.8 GHz) and 1 MB cache. More info if it helps: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM@533MHz, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900, and Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card.

A local computer seller told me that you can't change a Dell's video card. Is that true?

Collapse -
No, however...
by steve749 / February 16, 2007 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Video card help

The question is what kind of slots does your computer have in terms of adding a video card since you appear to have integrated graphics. It may be that since you have a basic PC model it isn't designed for gaming and thus doesn't have the required hardware to support a new video card which wouldn't surprise me.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Video card help
by bigelowbkm / February 16, 2007 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: No, however...

Okay--now I get it. As my mom says "Live and learn."

Collapse -
card
by flip3d-216117282864364117 / February 16, 2007 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Video card help

Yes, depending on your motherboard we or i cannot decide a graphics card for you, aswell needing to know a price range and where you live (Country).

Collapse -
card
by bigelowbkm / February 18, 2007 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: card

How do I find out about my motherboard so I can tell you?

Collapse -
One idea would be....
by steve749 / February 18, 2007 8:21 AM PST

To use a program like CPU-Z or PC Wizard which are both free to find out what motherboard you have.

Collapse -
Best way is to look at your Dell PC Manual
by VAPCMD / February 18, 2007 10:00 AM PST

...it's also available on the Dell Website for viewing or download.
THen you'll know for sure.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ok so i get it now but where do i find the wizard?
by bigelowbkm / February 21, 2007 4:12 AM PST

i mena i get i need motherboard info but now im having issus finding THAT, (/sigh) one day im getting a 500 gig computer and no ones gonna stop me then i wont have to go thru all this trouble lol

Collapse -
by bigelowbkm / February 21, 2007 4:29 AM PST

OH GREAT A BREAKTHRU i was obn phone with dell guy and he sed i can upgrade my video card with ATI AND NVIDEA sweetttuh ok so now which card is cheapest out of these 3 ATI-600SERIES, ATI-700SERIES, NVIDEA GE FORCE6000 SERIES oh and one more thing thanks for helping me and my mom wondering how i would insert my video card yay now im happy Grin ;D >:)
(-(-.(-.-).-)-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
my logo above lol

~~~~~~<([CRAYOLA])

Collapse -
whoops
by bigelowbkm / February 21, 2007 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: ...

whoops i meant with my ATI Cards the ATI-X600 series and ATI-X7000 series i forgot to put the X

Collapse -
ugg
by bigelowbkm / February 21, 2007 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: whoops

ok first off srry for all this changing and switching around stuff. now i got on a website similiar to cnet and found only PCI video cards work on my system..hope that helps

Collapse -
Hopefully, You've Checked Google First?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 21, 2007 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: ugg

Type your video card into the Google search engine and read the information provided at the links supplied.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by bigelowbkm / February 21, 2007 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: ugg

ok i will i did go to intel . com thought and i found that when i downloaded an update for my chipset it sed i have the wrong driver i feel like i'm screwed .... maybe one of you could nicely ask my mom to buy me a computer?lol

Collapse -
Clarification from Mom (the real bigelowbkm)
by bigelowbkm / February 22, 2007 1:00 AM PST

Hi,
As you can probably tell, this video card thing has my son a little confused. Yesterday we found out from Dell that another video card really can be installed on the E310. Then I found this in a review of the E310 on the Internet @ http://products.howstuffworks.com/dell-dimension-e310-series-desktop-computer-review.htm:

"The motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot or a PCI Express 16x slot, so if you want to upgrade the graphics down the road, you'll have to find a PCI or an even more rare PCIe 1x graphics card for the system."

According to the Oblivion people, neither of these will run his game.

Anyway, thanks for your patience! And pls send another feedback form--got through page one of the survey and then realized you rank "5" as worst and "1" as best (I think). I'm used to it the other way around.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.